Kitchen Remodel - Finally Done!

Jim DeLaney

Staff member
Finally finished the kitchen remodel! Been poking along with the cabinet rebuild/refinish, but once that was finished a couple months ago we began working on it in earnest.

Had a contractor remove the wallpaper (What a mess!) and paint the walls. New granite countertops were professionally fabricated and installed.

Hardest job was tearing up the old ceramic tiles - used a mini-jackhammer for that - and removing the severely gouged underlayment under them. Installing the new floor only took a couple days after that. Add another day to trim it out, and we finished yesterday - just in time for the holidays!

No more big home projects until Spring now, when we start on replacing & enlarging the back deck...

Attachments

• DSC00898 (Medium).JPG
    DSC00898 (Medium).JPG
    80.3 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC00899 (Medium).JPG
    DSC00899 (Medium).JPG
    79.1 KB · Views: 67
  • DSC00900 (Medium).JPG
    DSC00900 (Medium).JPG
    73.1 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC00901 (Medium).JPG
    DSC00901 (Medium).JPG
    80.4 KB · Views: 62
Very nice Jim! Do you have any before photos?

Unfortunately, no. I should have taken some, I guess, just to show the transformation.

Think 20 year old yellowish formica counters; Cabinet doors with finish worn down to bare wood around the knobs; loose drawer fronts; and worn out drawer slides. Floor was ceramic tiles, over plywood underlayment, poorly installed, with many cracked tiles. Walls were covered in a textured wallpaper that we never did think was clean, no matter how much we'd scrubbed it.

All-in-all we kept and repaired/refinished the cabinets, but replaced everything else.

BTW, this was the fourth kitchen we've redone over the past thirty years, and I sure hope I don't have to do another one. :rolleyes:

That's ok, the description of the old one was enough. :rofl:

I'm sure this got you out of the dog house and off the naughty list for sure. :)

I still have to finish the fire place/entertainment center before Christmas or I'm getting coal.