Bathroom Shelves

glenn bradley

LOML has a double sink vanity area between the tub/shower area and the bedroom. Storage is at a premium in this spot. There is a funky shaped niche that I have been planning on stuffing a shelf unit into. I was waiting for a design to hit me that was not too heavy for the tight space but sizable enough to provide enough shelf space to make it worth occupying the space. Shooting for something like this . . . .

deb-bath-shelf-3.jpg

The bandsaw is a perfect way to rip large planks like this red oak (her bedroom is done in red oak and she would not be talked out of continuing this SoCal tradition into the bath):

1- deb shelves rip.jpg

This shows the difference in the sides required to fit the awkward space:

2- deb shelves sides.jpg

Face Joint, edge joint, cut to length:

3- deb shelves face joint 2.jpg4- deb shelves edge joint.jpg5- deb shelves milled side.jpg

The sled once again proves its worth:

7- deb shelves sled.jpg

Tape the two sides and cut the dado's for the shelves:

6- deb shelves dado cut.jpg

There will be a decorative curve at the top and bottom of the sides. I am goung to try to echo this curve on the shelves to transition from the narrow side (for doorway clearance) to the wider side (that butts up against a support pillar):

8- deb shelves ready4curves.jpg

Last edited:
Tape the shelf blanks together for a gang-cut of the transition curve:

9- deb shelves gang cut-2.jpg 10- deb shelves gang result.jpg

I need to make the back cleats for hanging this piece and the receiving notches for them. Then its time for some sanding, some BLO and probably (dare I say it) some poly.

shelves are looking pretty good glenn but that door in the back ground whats up with that ???? did you make it as well?

The door is a fix job for LOML. She wants to milk one more winter out of it before she gets a new one. On the upside, the fix went well and the door works great technically. Looks-wise, it has about had it.

Hanging Cleats and Notches

I milled out the cleats and then used them to measure the notch size. Clamped them down as guides and used a pattern bit in the Colt:

11- deb shelf Cleat prep 1.jpg12- deb shelf Cleat prep 2.jpg13- deb shelf Cleat cutout.jpg14- deb shelf Cleat notch done.jpg

Now, a little finish sanding, tape off the parts that get the glue and do some pre-finishing with the BLO:

15- deb shelf taped.jpg

Last edited:
For the sake of getting from SketchUp to installation . . .

Here's the color matching trials. Got the nod from LOML on the match.

16-deb-shelf-color-1.jpg17-deb-shelf-color-2.jpg

I'll end with a shot of the actual installed spot at her house in a couple days. This "propped in the door" shot gives you the general idea. Nothing fancy, just needed something with a light-weight look that wasn't too institutional looking but had a lot of bang for the real estate available.

18--deb-shelf-topcoat-1.jpg19--deb-shelf-topcoat-2.jpg

LOML went back to work so I was able to install this while she was out. It's her B-day so she'll see it when she gets home and goes to get ready for her B-day dinner tonight. You can now see the reason for the odd shape.

Attachments

• 21-Deb-bath-cab-hung.jpg
    21-Deb-bath-cab-hung.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 23
  • 20-Deb-bath-cab-hung.jpg
    20-Deb-bath-cab-hung.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 20