Steel City Sale/Rebate...&...pre-gloat.

Greg Cook

I've been impressed with the Steel City tools that some members have purchased, and online reviews. I'be been wanting a mortiser for a long time, and checked-out their unit. I called our local distributor and found out they are on sale for $269...and there's a $50 mail-in rebate. So I ordered one for $219 (retail $334), and pick it up on Wed.

The sales guy mentioned that other tools are also on sale on their online sales flyer, so I checked and found their 17", 16 speed, 6" quill stroke, floor Drill Press was also on sale for $469..and it has a $75 rebate. So, I ordered one for $394 (retail $597), and pick it up also on Wed.

Anyone interested in a Steel City tool, take a look at their site, check the Fall '06 Sale flyer...and the rebate program they have going.

I'll post pics later next week.

Jim,

I'll be putting my old bench top style press and band saw on craigslist soon. The floor drill press will fit fine, and the mortiser will be on a table stand the band saw is on now.

The footprint of the drill press will be about half the size of the table the current press is on.

Last edited:
Would like to hear how you like it after you get some time to use it.

Have you used any of the other popular moritsers, like the Delta, GI, or Jet? What prompted you to go with the SCTW? (it looks like a good unit)

That looks like a nice unit, they're getting a great reputation quickly, and the price is good.

A mortiser is a very handy tool.:thumb:

EDIT: Those bearing extensions look very nice. Looks like a very well designed machine.

Last edited:
Double congrats, Greg. That's a great price on both tools, and from what I've read, you're going to be real happy with them. We'll be looking forward to reviews and pics when you get them.

Alan...Vaughn,

Thanks!

I have not used a mortiser before, but I have checked the specs and reviews of the Delta and Jet, and watched prices for quite a while. I really want to make some furniture, especially tables, chests, etc. and am looking forward to M/T construction.

I especially like the table size, extensions, stock rollers on the SCT. Also the fact the SCT weighs 81Lb, compared to 44Lb for the Jet, and 55Lb for the Delta. There seem to be other differences that weigh on the side of the SCT, but I'll have to get the tool and then make a better comparison. Of course, price and a 5 year warranty were a plus too....:thumb:

Damnit Greg, you had me giving that a very close look last night, almost to the point of pulling the trigger, I've been wanting a mortiser for a while. This looks better and with better features than the Delta.

Do you know if you can use the mortiser by pivoting it and not using the stand? The Delta will allow you to do that, not sure I would, but for large stuff that could come in handy.

It seems the only place in CA is down in SoCal, I'm surprised I don't see any distributers up North. Do any of the large chains carry Steel City?

Alan,

Yes, the head can be removed, rotate and reconnected to the base for use with larger stock. Download the manual and look on page 23.

http://www.steelcitytoolworks.com/products_tools.cfm?section=2&category=3&tool=25200

I don't know of any other outlets other than the distributors, but you could give them a call. Mine is about 45 ~ 60 minutes away, but I think worth the drive. I'll be half way there on Wed anyway.

Not sure about national chains, but Woodworker's Supply has their stuff now. Nancy Laird's husband Dave works for them. They just posted about some Steel City items they just bought. Give Dave a call. Real nice guy. Nancy got me hooked up with Dave to set up an account, so shes a sweetheart. Jim.

Alan,

Yes, the head can be removed, rotate and reconnected to the base for use with larger stock. Download the manual and look on page 23.
I almost missed this response, but this was what I was curious about. I like the wheels it has on the table also, those look handy and could be removed when not needed.

This certainly looks like a well built unit.
I went out and took a couple of pics of my SCT Mortiser. I had to put a mortise in stock that was 6" wide, so I had moved the head around.
Thank you for posting those pics.

I have to say they added some improvements, and produced a top notch mortiser.

I do still have some cash left from selling my saw, but need to let the Biesemeyer get here first I think, don't want my wife to think I would go overboard on tools...:rofl:

I'm surprised there's no distributer in NorCal. I might need to pay shipping from SoCal (not bad though).