Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pretty good day today

pretty good day today

had a pretty good day today. wound up helping my dad flood the 3 rinks (well, i swept 2, and flooded 1 of them) at the local playground. sorry, no pics of that. after picking up the frau from school, went over to my dad's to play with the new tools. i rigged up the jig i made for the arched candle holders, and it just tore through that blank like it wasn't there. even in the smallest part of the smallest arch, didn't even slow down. after that, i chucked up the right sized forstner bit in the newly revived drill press, and it chewed those holes like the lumber was soft cheese. the holes may be a cat hair off, since i only had time enough to eyeball them, and it was a prototype anyway. i cannot remember the name of the lighter wood, but the other is walnut. i was in such a good mood, i decided to finally render that bit of russian olive that i've had for several years into pen blanks. i wound up with 36, but i need to look at the cuts that had some checking, i may be able to salvage a few more. all in all, a pretty good day.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails russian olive blanks.JPG   arched candle holder prototype.JPG  
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

Nice work.

Good to see that both of your new bears are working well, too.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Now you're cooking. Looks like a good day indeed.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

These are sharp looking for sure , like the two different woods together.....
    Usually Busier than a Cat In A sand Box : Arkansas Red Wolf & Razorbacks Fan

Dan as a saying back in SA we would say "Now youre cooking with Gas". Aw what the heck i have to explain every expression. We did not have natural gas piped to each house and it was considered faster than an electric stove when you used propane (we called that gas). Real gas is called Petrol back where i come from hey Chas....help me out here..

Heck Dan those are great i see a slight inspiration stemming from a fellow woodworker that is out in California by the name of Glenn appearing in your work. Remember to mention him in your press release one day.
    cheers

Looks like the new toys are working fine now, Dan.

Rob, I recall the "Now you're cooking with gas" tagline being used by US natural gas companies in the '70s and beyond. It looks like it's been around quite a bit longer than that, though...

http://answers.google.com/answers/th...id/359322.html
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Great days work Dan. i like those candle holders.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Noren View Post
    i was in such a good mood, i decided to finally render that bit of russian olive that i've had for several years into pen blanks. i wound up with 36, but i need to look at the cuts that had some checking, i may be able to salvage a few more. all in all, a pretty good day.
    Dan, attached is a pdf explaining using a pressure pot to salvage pen blanks that are worse than "checked"!!! Came from TPS, looks like something I will be doing in the future, just happened to read it today so here it is fresh off of my desktop! Well, the best laid plans of mice and men, to large to download here. So here is the address, or pm me your email address and will send it on to you in its entire portion.

http://www.thepenshop.net/library.htm

Next to last title on the left column. Worthless wood blanks. Hope you find it and like it and hope it helps. If not, send some of that "worthless" checked blanks and will run it through the process and send some finished ones back to you!
    Last edited by Jonathan Shively; 12-22-2009 at 04:16 AM.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Jonathan, I don't see the link? I had bought a pressure pot and a vacuum a while ago, but haven't used them.
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Brent and others, sorry, I forgot! Just added it.

Brent and Dan, pm and emails sent.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING