Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More serving trays

More serving trays

Here are a couple more serving trays I made for Christmas presents. Both of the panels are veneered over BB ply.

This one is Cherry with cherry veneer and maple burl veneer. The banding is from Inlaybanding.com

This one is Walnut with walnut and sapele veneer. This banding is also from Inlaybanding.com.
    Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway

Ed,

Those are beautiful!! VERY NICE!!!! Somebody's going to be very happy.

Randy

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Hey ED, what are the demension on those. BTW they are great.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    Hey ED, what are the demension on those. BTW they are great.
    The Cherry one is about 11x17 and the walnut one is 12x20. Thanks for the comments!

Ed those are super. Any chance you could give us more info on how you did this lot. I see the BB i presume that is baltic birch but what thickness did you use?

How do you finish the underside of the BB? Did you recess the bottom into the edge frame? Hows about a few more pics.

The veneer work is beautiful. Thanks for the tip on the edge banding. How does this stuff balance out for thickness in comparison to the thickness of normal veneer. Do you put this whole base through a wide belt sander or how does it get finished

Hey Ed are those complex mitred dovetails on the first one?

I love trays, must be a hangover from school projects.

Thanks for posting.
    Last edited by Rob Keeble; 12-22-2009 at 02:19 AM. Reason: ask more questions
    cheers

Wonderful work!

I too would love some more details, when you have the time
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Ditto the more info. Man those are NICE, well done

So many questions! I was a little negligent in taking progress pics, but I'll see if I can describe what I did.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    Ed those are super. Any chance you could give us more info on how you did this lot. I see the BB i presume that is baltic birch but what thickness did you use? BB is baltic birch. I used a 1/4" sheet. The one downside to this is the panel is then a little wider than a 1/4" and cutting the dados had to be done on the tablesaw, widening the dado a little at a time.

How do you finish the underside of the BB? Did you recess the bottom into the edge frame? Hows about a few more pics. The underside of the panels is veneered with the same veneer as is used in the borders on the top of the panels. The cherry tray has cherry veneer on the bottom and the walnut tray has walnut veneer on the bottom.

The veneer work is beautiful. Thanks for the tip on the edge banding. How does this stuff balance out for thickness in comparison to the thickness of normal veneer. Do you put this whole base through a wide belt sander or how does it get finished The banding is slightly thicker than the veneer. I veneered the inner field and the outer field to the ply then routed just short of the depth of the banding. I wish I had a wide belt sander, but a card scrapper does an excellent job of bringing the banding level with the veneer. I love this pic!

Hey Ed are those complex mitred dovetails on the first one? Yes they are! I was having problems with standard dovetails blowing out the tails trying to make stopped dados for the panel. They are mitered to the depth of the dado and then the dovetails were cut. Worked pretty good and I'm happy with how they turned out.

I love trays, must be a hangover from school projects.

Thanks for posting.
    For veneering the panels, I made three sets of cauls and clamp the panels between a set of melamine platens.

Thanks for the comments! These have been a lot of fun!

By the way, if you buy from Inlaybanding.com, tell Matt I said Hi! He does an excellent job and will help with customized bandings if you need them.

Awesome work on both trays. Ed. The figured maple in the second one is out of this world.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Wow, those are amazing.
    Faith, Hope & Charity