Ashman shoptour

Steve Ash

My shop is in a 32 x 48 x 10 polebarn with vinyl siding, aluminum soffits and facia, shingled roof it is insulated and I used o.s.b. sheathing for the interior walls and ceiling. A lot of my shop was built using left over materials from other shops and homes that I built or remodeled....for example my windows all came from a home I remodeled, the kitchen upper cabinets came out of two different kitchens I did, and the trusses came from a house we completely changed from a single story ranch to a two story home with completely different rooflines. Insulation came in dribs and drabs as I had leftovers as did the interior o.s.b sheeting. It's not that I am cheap but am able to obtain these materials from time to time being a building contractor. My shop was originally built so that I could pre-fab trusses and walls for my different jobs, but it didn't work out the way I planned it...so I started building a few muscle cars in it....after I got enough of that hobby about 2 years ago I decided to turn my shop into a place where I could build furniture and cabinets for some of the houses I built if the customer decided to have something custom made....so I sold/ gave away all my go fast car goodies and made the conversion.

Although my shop is nothing fancy and it doesn't have the "top of the line" equiptment, it serves me well and of course I am always looking to upgrade as time/funds allow. Not pictured below I have a Grizzly dust collector, a homemade ceiling mounted air filter, a large homemade clamp rack, an older delta jointer, a newly purchased drum sander....and a refrigerator to keep my beverage of choice cold after working hours.

Thanks for looking and be careful not to get too much sawdust on you.If you ever get near Lansing, Michigan drop by, the drinks are cold, the shop is warm and the conversation is sincere and friendly.

Attachments

• Steve_ash_bandsaw.jpg
    Steve_ash_bandsaw.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 291
  • Steve_ash_bencharea.jpg
    Steve_ash_bencharea.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 333
  • Steve_ash_minimaxshaper.jpg
    Steve_ash_minimaxshaper.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 256
  • Steve_ash_mitersaw.jpg
    Steve_ash_mitersaw.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 280
  • Steve_ash_planer.jpg
    Steve_ash_planer.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 333
  • Steve_ash_tabelsaw.jpg
    Steve_ash_tabelsaw.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 312
  • Steve_ash_toolcabinet2.jpg
    Steve_ash_toolcabinet2.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 209
  • Steve_ash_toolcabinet.jpg
    Steve_ash_toolcabinet.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 219
  • 100_1855.jpg
    100_1855.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 235
Steve, looks great and very functional. You do not have to have the "top of the line" equipment to do top of the line work. It the talent in the hand and the dream in the minds eye that guides the saw and creates beauty from raw materials.

Steve - thanks for posting - looks to me like you've got it all there. There is nothing wrong with recycling materials into new uses either - just remember - not cheap - just eco-friendly:)

Nice shop Steve. But there's one little thing wrong....Ashman is not entirely family friendly. Just listen to my two year old daughter say it! :eek: :eek: :rolleyes: Yes, she asked "What's that?" and repeated my answer in two year old speak. :D

Thanks for the shop tour, Steve.

My shop is very small and sparse, OK, it's really just a garage:eek: . I get to live vicariously through you guys with these great shops.

By the way. What is a "Pole Barn":confused:

George

Thanks for the shop tour, Steve.

My shop is very small and sparse, OK, it's really just a garage:eek: . I get to live vicariously through you guys with these great shops.

By the way. What is a "Pole Barn":confused:

George

George a pole barn is a building constructed with treated poles (in this case 6 x 6 pressure treated posts sunk in the ground 42 " and resting on a concrete footing approximately 18" in diameter and 8-10 " thick. It is less expensive to build a pole barn structure than a stick built structure sitting on a foundation with blocks. You are still able to use vinyl siding, aluminum soffits, facia and a shingled roof same as a stick built garage.

Trust me fellas, the shop was cleaned up a lot from what it normally looks like.

Jim, the shaper has always been running, I just don't have any shaper cutters yet for it.

Found some more pics

I found a few more pics to add to my shoptour.....the homemade ceiling mounted air filter, the 1959 Delta/Rockwell jointer, and of course my shop dog...Honey-Behr.

Attachments

• 100_1541.jpg
    100_1541.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 40
  • th_index.jpg
    th_index.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 59
  • th_100_1514.jpg
    th_100_1514.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 76
Upgrade and a addition

Since I first posted my shoptour I have upgraded from my Delta Contractors Saw, to a 1940's Unisaw. Unifence and outfeed table all bolted right up to the Unisaw from the Contractors Saw.

A very good friend of mine from Spring Green Wisconsin knew I liked woodworking banners and sent me a Porter Cable banner to display next to my Delta Machinery banner.

I am also changing my shop from propane to wood heat, after changing insurance companies to one that will fully insure my shop using wood heat. It just makes sense to me to burn my mista...err, I mean to burn all prototypes.

In the remaining 16x32 area of my polebarn I have built a 8' x 8' area to house my wood burner with all the necessary requirements for them to approve wood heat, another 8 x 8 for my dust collector, which leaves the remaining 16 x 24 area that will be my finishing room....pics will be added when those changes are finished, hopefully by the end of summer or fall.

Attachments

• 100_3224.jpg
    100_3224.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 100_3229.jpg
    100_3229.jpg
    76.3 KB · Views: 35
Steve,

What a luxury to have that much space.

I do notice one thing. To be a REAL woodworker you have to get rid of all of the automotive stuff. I still see an automotive tool chest, Napa sign and a couple of ramps. I think that there may be one more automotive type sign to the left of the Napa sign. Once you dump those things you will really be one of us.

I keep that sort of stuff hidden away so it will not remind me of being all greasy. I just hate do deal with that stuff. At least sawdust will wash right off of you and out of your clothes. Greasy hands, face, elbows and clothes. Did I say that I hate that stuff.

I always enjoy seeing someone elses shop. Thanks!

Allen

Hey Allen, good eyes....but you missed the Chevy 396 big block and heads under the bench.:D I might need a spare.

Can't get rid of all of my memorabillia, just like the sign on the wall of when I had Grand Champion steer at the State Fair back in 1976 or the John Deere wall clock....all part of my past.

Steve,

I'm envious of the space. I have an old, 250+yr old barn but it is not all that suitable for a shop. Yours looks great.

What's the dogs name? Small pic but is it a yellow lab?

What's the dogs name? Small pic but is it a yellow lab?

Bill, her full name as on her AKC papers is Honey-Behr of Birge Isle. She has quite a good bloodline and has some bothers and sisters used on the sheriffs search and rescue squad.

She is a 5 year old yellow lab that follows me everywhere. She has her own spot in the shop away from the machines so I don't worry about her being underfeet.

I've had and raised purebred labs since 1983, when I used to do a lot of duck and goose hunting with my first "Honey".....this one has never hunted since I don't make the time to waterfowl hunt much anymore, but she does like the water...always in it.

Thanks for asking, I'm like a lot of other pet owners...love to talk about my friendly animal.

Here is a bigger picture of her on her couch in the house.

Attachments

• 100_2758.jpg
    100_2758.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 39
Steve,

Great looking dog. I have two, an FDSB english setter and a blue ticked hound. Bandit and Elwood.

Attachments

• bandit&elwood.jpg
    bandit&elwood.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 18