Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I Had To Change The Cartridge in my SawStop Today......

I Had To Change The Cartridge in my SawStop Today......

...... so I could use my Dado blade

I actually used it for the first time, as they originally shipped the wrong cartridge with my saw, and I had get it exchanged, but the company I bought the saw from in Canada, has since gone out of business the friend I had help me out in Canada, well he was able to get me a replacement, and he has one of the original SawStops, so the wrong cartridge for my saw, is the right one for his saw...

The SawStop worked very well with the dado set, I do think I need to get it sharpened..... the dado set, not the SawStop...

My youngest daughter, Mizuki, needs a bookcase, or shelf for her stuff, she had these old shelf things that we got somewhere, that were falling apart, and she wanted me to make her a new shelf, well, one thing had led to another, and I've still not made her the shelf, so she decided to light a fire under me by trashing the old shelves............

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	needs_a_boockcase.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	139.2 KB 
ID:	40493
    ..... I think we can agree she needs a new shelf, or bookcase....

Nothing too fancy, I was able to get some ready to go knotty pine for a reasonable price and she was fine with that. Just standard through dado construction, with screws and glue holding it together.

Name:	edge_clean_up_leg_vice.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	135.4 KB 
ID:	40494
    The edges of the boards I got were not really what I'd call smooth, so I used my back bench with the legvice and the sliding deadman, as well as my new LN 62 to make them edges smooth! I also put a small chamfer on the edges to make them nice to touch.

Name:	dado_cheat_1.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	126.5 KB 
ID:	40495
    The back of the unit will be some 5.3mm (just under 1/4") thick nice plywood, and I'm making it so the back slides into a groove like a drawer bottom. To make the cut on the back of the top, I'd have to make a stop cut or use the router etc, well, I don't have a 5.3mm bit for the router, so I used the saw, but I had to go all the way through, but to hide this fact, I filled in the groove.

Name:	dado_cheat_2.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	126.4 KB 
ID:	40496
    Just a thin piece of wood, cut to size then planed to make it fit snug, glued in to the groove.

Name:	dado_cheat_3.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	119.1 KB 
ID:	40497
    Then parred off with the chisel and then planed flat and smooth with the hand plane, just about disappears

After that, I screwed and glued it all together......

Name:	mostly_done.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	130.2 KB 
ID:	40498
    looking not bad for an afternoon's work

Name:	just_needs_back.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	149.8 KB 
ID:	40499
    I then added the front bottom piece to keep the dust bunnies at bay.

Now I need to cut the plywood and install that for the back. I think I'll do a final sanding and put some sanding sealer on it before I put the back on. The finish will just be some wipe on coloured poly.

Should have it done by Christmas, honestly, I don't know where I've been able to steal the time........ oh yeah, not sleeping much these days

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Looks good Stu. You gonna plug those screw holes on the side?

I like the 1/4 inch ply idea for the back. All the commercial units use the thinest ply one can get and then in many cases the tilt support is attached to this thin ply held together with staples. Recipe for disaster if you ask me especially on a tall bookshelf or high set of draws. I suppose most of us that can use a tool have this "build it stout" mentality when we doing it ourself.

Since that bookshelf is going next to the bed now ya gotta get the turning going and make a lamp to go with it. Oh and what about a small draw under.......etc etc oops and speaker mounts i almost forgot.

Just for interest sake could you shoot the Dado setup and cartridge for us to see. That is when you get a chance if you dont mind. I am fascinated by the whole Saw Stop thing.
    So you use an ordinary Dado blade but i presume the cartridge is much heavier and wider given the mass of a turning Dado blade set. Boy just thinking of the stopping of say a full set at full revs that "brake" is gonna have a lot of work to do. Wonder what that cartridge costs to replace (in canada that is) would not even want to hear the cost in Japan given what they originally quoted you for the Saw.
    cheers

Atleast she stacked and organized everything neatly when she got rid of it. Looks good! Are you going to plug the screws with something or just let them show? For something that you say needs to be sharpened those dados look very crisp and clean in the pictures.

Very nice Stu. Glad to see the daughters are keeping the economy and you working over there!!! So, the cartridge has to be removed for the dado stack due to width or length on the axle? Does this mean the sawstop does not have the sawstop capabilities with a dado stack being used?
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    Looks good Stu. You gonna plug those screw holes on the side?

I like the 1/4 inch ply idea for the back. All the commercial units use the thinest ply one can get and then in many cases the tilt support is attached to this thin ply held together with staples. Recipe for disaster if you ask me especially on a tall bookshelf or high set of draws. I suppose most of us that can use a tool have this "build it stout" mentality when we doing it ourself.
    To some extent, yeah, build it stout, but within limits, I used to over build everything, and everything I build was "Clunky" no elegance to it. I'm not trying to build things that are well built, but also somewhat esthetically pleasing, or that is what I'm attempting to do I'll not cover the screw holes, the one side of the unit will be against the bed, the other in a corner near the closet. I may just use some wood putty to fill them in

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble
    Since that bookshelf is going next to the bed now ya gotta get the turning going and make a lamp to go with it. Oh and what about a small draw under.......etc etc oops and speaker mounts i almost forgot.
    Nope, non of that, she has a light on her desk and one in the headboard of her bed, speakers are on the stereo and she has headphones too!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble
    Just for interest sake could you shoot the Dado setup and cartridge for us to see. That is when you get a chance if you dont mind. I am fascinated by the whole Saw Stop thing.
    So you use an ordinary Dado blade but i presume the cartridge is much heavier and wider given the mass of a turning Dado blade set. Boy just thinking of the stopping of say a full set at full revs that "brake" is gonna have a lot of work to do. Wonder what that cartridge costs to replace (in canada that is) would not even want to hear the cost in Japan given what they originally quoted you for the Saw.
    Yep, much larger, heavier and wider, it is build for an 8" dado set, which I have, took all of 3 minutes to swap the unit out. The Dado cartridge is about $110 cdn, the standard cartridge is about $83 cdn.

When I asked the Japanese importer they said about $300, and it would take three months to get, as they do not stock it, dado sets are not common here.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Shively View Post
    Very nice Stu. Glad to see the daughters are keeping the economy and you working over there!!! So, the cartridge has to be removed for the dado stack due to width or length on the axle? Does this mean the sawstop does not have the sawstop capabilities with a dado stack being used?
    No, you change to a Dado Cartridge, which is larger and wider, to take in account the Dado blades are 8", not 10 like the regular blade. Without a cartridge installed, the saw will NOT run.

Cheers!
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Bienlein View Post
    Atleast she stacked and organized everything neatly when she got rid of it. Looks good! Are you going to plug the screws with something or just let them show? For something that you say needs to be sharpened those dados look very crisp and clean in the pictures.
    Yep, she is a good girl, we are lucky!

The shots are from far enough away to hide the Dados

After seeing Garrett Hack make super tight joints, I'm bumping up the shoulder plane on my list!

Cheers!
    William Arthur Ward

Just a thought about the screw holes. Depending on college choices, those shelves might fit in a dorm room and do double duty for you. Leaving the screw heads available might not be the most eye appealing, but be more user friendly so you can take it apart (if you leave out the glue) for transportation purposes. Just a thought.

Thanks on the answer, I thought I had read or knew it wouldn't run without the cartridge. Do you keep a moisture meter handy and use before running wood through it?
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Shively View Post
    Just a thought about the screw holes. Depending on college choices, those shelves might fit in a dorm room and do double duty for you. Leaving the screw heads available might not be the most eye appealing, but be more user friendly so you can take it apart (if you leave out the glue) for transportation purposes. Just a thought.

Thanks on the answer, I thought I had read or knew it wouldn't run without the cartridge. Do you keep a moisture meter handy and use before running wood through it?
    Any college she'd go to is over the Pacific ocean, so it will be left here at home

I do have a moisture meter handy, but for regular stuff, I have no worry, besides, if you want to know if a piece is too wet, you just touch it t the blade with the saw powered up, but on running, and if the green light on the control panel stays on you are good to go, if the red light blinks, you had better not hit the go button
    William Arthur Ward

Hey, cool, great idea on their red light green light solution. Hadn't heard a thing about that.

Well, we are about an hour away from Purdue University, if that becomes her college of choice, Lou Ann and I will do all we can to make it a comfortable stay and provide her a home away from home. And I do make that pledge seriously.
    Jon