Christmas and my son

Rod Upfold

Off to the Muskokas (where the moose and bears are) for Christmas with the in-laws (O-drat). The grass is hardly covered with snow here and I hear that they have about a metre or more of snow. Hopefully the weather stays clear for the drive up and back and the roads are dry.

The only reason that we are going up this year is because this will be my son's last Christmas and the last time he will be going up. Its been a year since his last tumour operation and they took him off of chemo a week ago. He dosen't know nor does his sister that he probably won't see March. The 4th tumour has beaten the newest of the designer type chemos ($3000 a week) and the alternate chemo - the tumour is still growing

We have been offered a cottage up there that is wheel chair acssessable for four days free of charge and rented a van today and the company told us not to worry about milage.

I haven't done too much woodworking this year with the medical problem. One of us is with him all the time in case of a seizure or falls. He has gained over a 100 lbs or more...his skin and brain are acting like a sponge holding water. He can hardly walk, his right arm is useless and he can still use his right leg enough to goto the bathroom and he has a hard time speaking clearly. The steroids use is to keep the brain from swelling. Another side effect of the steroids is large stretch marks on his chest, side and back...also there is a bit of a hump where the neck joins the body.

We are told that that it will be quick and painless and probably will happen while he is sleeping.

So if you kid does something wrong or breaks something - be happy that they are still around to enjoy.

Have a Merry Christmas

Rod there are no words that you have not heard already so I will not add any except to treasure every moment with your son and family, reflect on all the good of your lives. Your family is in my thoughts and prayers.

Off to the Muskokas (where the moose and bears are) for Christmas with the in-laws (O-drat). The grass is hardly covered with snow here and I hear that they have about a metre or more of snow. Hopefully the weather stays clear for the drive up and back and the roads are dry.

Rod,
last weekend I was up in Haliburton, ON. There is at least 18" of snow on the ground. The trees are coated as well. It was gorgeous. And the roads were clear also, double bonus. Some lakes are open, and some are frozen over. On Sunday we paused in our drive home to watch 3 deer wander across the road. I hope you find some of the same beauty up there as well.

best wishes,
...art

Rod,

I will put your son and his family on my daily prayer list. I wish I could share with you words of comfort but it is not to be. Please know that you and your son are loved. What a most difficult situation - it is beyond my ability to understand what you have and will be going through -- please stay strong - rely on friends and family. sharing these things are hard but is good that you can put these things into words.

Rev. Paul

Rod, my brother's oldest son at the age of 9 on Christmas Eve day was diagnosed with luekemia (sp?). That following October he died. It was at times such a horrific battle, he gave it his all. I do not know where my brother and sister in law found or find the strength. My wife and I moved about 25 miles from them in June of that year when I started teaching. We had their other two children in our home the night he died at home. I have a grandson that just came home from Riley's children hospital again today. At this time he isn't thought to have a life threatening situation. I do not know why God takes them from us nor why he gives them to us in the first place. All I know and believe, your son is going where he will be free of the meds and pain. That doesn't help us here on earth, for that I have no words. Please, please find strength to enjoy your time, miracles do happen, the form of the miracle is not for us to know. So I am speaking from some experience, you will be in my prayers, hug him, love him, love this time and family. Don't keep thinking of the last time, think of it as THIS time. The past is past, the future will be, live in the now for now. Feel free to pm me with any thing, my brother has recently gotten his minister's license and is more at peace than at any other time I can remember him being. I can connect you two and he would be more than willing to email/talk with you.

Rod,
I'm not sure what I want to say, but my eyes teared reading your story... I don't know if I would have your strength if something happened to my son... but I was taught that God had a purpose for each of his children.... when he takes them early, they have finished their task here and he's taking them home again.

Its been 5 years since the tumour has started. He has had 3 brain operation, radiation and chemo. This last year was the worst. He had a stroke on the operating table and never seem to get over the operation. He improved for a short while and his speech, right leg and right arm started to deteriorate. We were told on September second that he was failing fast and wouldn't make Christmas and then the tumour stopped growing - we had hoped the chemo was winning the battle. Then he started getting worse and they did a emergency MRI and found the tumour had started growing again and took him off the chemo last week.

Thank you everyone.

Now if I can just get my family motivated so we can get on the road...

Merry Christmas

Rod,
I'm not sure what I want to say, but my eyes teared reading your story... I don't know if I would have your strength if something happened to my son... but I was taught that God had a purpose for each of his children.... when he takes them early, they have finished their task here and he's taking them home again.

Amen to what Chuck said..
Garry