Can Tersa Knives be Sharpened?

As you know, the amount of steel is very small... it isn't like a big old jointer blade. And the advantage is the precise position of the edge relative to the alignment groove. Sharpening will obviously change that spacing.

I tried to sharpen the disposable blades on my Delta planer, using a Tormek, prior to getting one that used Tersa knives, and had limited success. I wouldn't want to bet on your success sharpening Tersa knives. But if you succeed, let me know!

Thanks Charlie for the feedback. It was the size that made me ask the question but thought honing an edge may be feasible. I have an extra set so maybe I'll send these to a good sharpener I know and see what he can do with them.

What is the best place to buy replacements?

I don't have a preferred source for Tersa knives yet.

My chrome set (that many say are just for softwood) have retained their basic sharpness far longer than I expected - the finish is good, but not as good as the HSS, so I assume they weren't as sharp, but the hardness of chrome kept them sharp longer. I plane all my rough lumber with the chrome set. The HSS set gives a better finish, but is dulling faster, and far more subject to dings - probably sharper but not as durable.

I have wondered if I could "tune up" the HSS set with a stroke or two with a diamond hone, while they are in the machine. Not sharpening enough to remove measurable steel, but just a "touch up." I do have a mark on the knives so that I know which is the first side and second side of each blade - that would also help keep the three knives in my set the same if I honed one side of the three knives.

If you try honing, let us know how it works.

brian, i remember reading about a company that claims to be able to sharpen tersa knifes?....but i`ve never tried `em.....i switched to the m-42 steel and am really impressed with the life(but not the price:eek: )......i`d wonder what about the cutting geometry would change with a sharpening? if you decide to try it please keep us posted.....tod