Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Christmas Presnt of a differant kind

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix

A Christmas Presnt of a differant kind

AS most of you know by now I am doing a commision for a new church being built nearby. The commision is for the furniture for the Santuary of a catholic church and if you care to see what I am doing you can get a prerview in this thread. I noticed that they had a processional cross that was make shift. Someone had taken a cross and screwed a board on it and made a base that wasn't any better. My wife and I decided to make a gift of a new one. I gave my wife the task of obtaining a corpus ( the figure on the cross). She spent over a month and finaly ordered the one I used from. Italy. For toni's sake this one is 12" high and cost over $300.) It's made of Alpine maple, The cross and base are made of maple and cherry. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cross.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	14.5 KB 
ID:	40522. I had a self imposed goal to give them the new cross for Christmas. They ise the cross at the begining and end of services as the celebrant enter s and leaves the church.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	base.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	12.3 KB 
ID:	40523The legs are fitted into the holder with dovetails.
    The finish is (your guessed it Larry) BLO and wipe on poly.
    I tried to get a close up on the corpus but the camera didn't co-operate. I'll post one as soon as I can get it out of my wives camara.
    Last edited by Don Baer; 12-24-2009 at 01:06 AM.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Don, that is just beautiful. I am in awe and even though we haven't met yet in person, I am very proud of you and the work you are doing and the thought process you are putting into it. As a high school kid, I was an acolyte in our Lutheran church and because I was strong enough to hold our cross high, I got to lead in and out of many services for a couple of years. Our cross was gold in color and probably 3/4" x 3/4" square tubing. It was top heavy to say the least. Don, good job doesn't come close, I am honored to see your work and the love going into it.
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Jonathan'
    This one is 1x2 Maple and six feet high. Regardless of our religious believes it is always greatifying to produce a piece that is heart felt. It is a greater previlige to be able to do something that will enhance the whorship of the folks who ar there to express their beliefs. I am privildged to be able to use my humble talents to be a part of the process of building this house of worship.
    Last edited by Don Baer; 12-24-2009 at 06:57 PM.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Don, I echo Jonathan's post.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Nice work Don. I'll be waiting for better close-up shots.

Nice work and great gesture Don. Do they know its on its way?

By the way i think your camera has the same problem my son has. Check to see if you have finger smudges over the lens. Something on the front has to be blurring all your pictures.
    cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Keeble View Post
    Nice work and great gesture Don. Do they know its on its way?
    Yes and No. I told the pastor I wanted to build it and donate it for the new church but I didn't tell him he would have it for Christmas. No one else in the congregations knows.

Some better pictures

Name:	IMG_1444 (598x800).jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	106.9 KB 
ID:	40542

Name:	IMG_1441 (800x600) (800x600).jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	40543

Beautiful! And so are the hearts of the two making this wonderful gift! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

Very fine workmanship.