a bit of free time for once

Dan Mosley

Its been awhile since i had some time to play with my lathe and today i found some time. I only have mesquite wood to turn and some of it just does not turn out that great due to inclusions and rotted areas that you discover during the turning.....so it ends up in the designer fire wood pile.
I have been trying many different ways to finish the projects. The
Mesquite has a open type of grain to it so to speak so I have tried the following:

Antique oil or Danish oil - several coats and 0000 between coats - let dry for a week and buff with WD and wax - The results are ok nothing thrilling

General Finishes Seal a cell and Arm R Seal - several coats of seal a cell and 000 between coats - then 3-4 coats of Arm R Seal with 0000 between coats and the last coat left alone - or WD and wax buff - The result is a very nice finish - grain filled in well with the seal a cell and nice build up on the Arm R Seal - time consuming but a nice finish

50/50 Laquer and Laquer thinner for sealing - 3 coats and 0000 between coats. Then multiple coats of Laquer (semi or gloss) to level out and build up the finish. Sometimes i apply by hand and sometimes out of the spray can. Either way with enough coats this is a nice finish - then i may or may not buff with WD and wax. I do really like laquer because it drys fast and i can continue to work on projects and build the finish up quicker.

Ok i know some will say not to use 0000 but i have no problems with it because i have a large compressor now and blast the heck out of it with air and to date i have not had any problems with debris. I do use the gray 3M pads etc -

Thoughts on finishing ??

Below is one small turning that i cant remember if i have posted but it is sanded thru 400 - Analine dye due to ugly wood issues - Laquer gloss spay x 4 coats and not buffed...........

Attachments

• Vessel-Green.jpg
    Vessel-Green.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 45
A green apple!!! Hollow forms I can't figure out, not the inclination to put the effort and time into them at this stage of the game, but sure do appreciate all of the work the rest of you do. Purely magical!!

...Antique oil or Danish oil - several coats and 0000 between coats - let dry for a week and buff with WD and wax - The results are ok nothing thrilling...

...Thoughts on finishing ?? ...

Have you tried buffing with tripoli before using the white diamond? It does a lot to smooth out and even up the surface. The white diamond isn't abrasive enough to really move much finish...it just tries to shine what's there. If what's there isn't really smooth, the white diamond won't be able to do much to dress it up. Or if you want something a little less abrasive, but still able to move some finish, try Don Pencil's PL compound.

yep i have the pl but i just use it for the last buff instead of carnuba and i have used the tripoli to depending on if the finish needs the extra bit of leveling or not.......just a struggle i guess to find that perfect finish ....lol