Portable Planer Height

Rich Aldrich

I am planning to start a new planer stand tomorrow -the planer is a Makita 2012NB - 12" wide. It is going to be a cabinet of drawers. I don't like the present height as the feed table is 21" off the floor. I think in the range of 30" would be easier on the back. Is there a reason to keep the planer low? I know some people mount them on work mates which seems to be a good height.

I appreciate the help.

Also, I am building a similar stand for my Ridgid Oscillating Belt/Spindle sander. It is going to be about 33" with the locking casters. I will post pictures in progress tomorrow. I have the carcase put together and material squared for the face frame.

Rich,

Mine's just high enough so that the board clears most of the other machines in my shop. If my floor were flat, I'd make the stand the right height to use the table saw as an infeed surface.

good luck with it,

Thanks,

Bill

Once I get the table built for the back of my table saw, I thought I would put my portable planer on a moveable platform that would allow me to put the planer in front of the table saw, utilize the dust collection port as well as electrical connection. Then as the wood comes out of the planer, it glides onto the table saw onto the cutoff table. Thus less need for more stuff in my little shop. Will be watching to see what others ideas are, mine is subject to change if others can convince me of a better way.

Here is a picture of mine. The infeed and out feed are about 35" high which is very comfortable for me. Just like using the table saw.
11-7-09 003.JPG
Ran out of material for the bottom drawer and the drawer fronts but once I start the kitchen I'll enough scrap to finish.

Like Bill, I set up my fliptop stand to place the planer feed just above the height of the tablesaw which is the reference height for almost everything in the shop.

My planer is at tablesaw height, because my planer is usually sitting on the tablesaw when I'm using it. :eek: Either that or on a Workmate that's quite a bit lower.

I don't do a lot of planing...can you tell?

As with many others, I used the height of the tablesaw as a standard height for all my equipment. Comfort level as wellas utilization for additinal flat surfaces. the TS can account for additional support for long boards, etc. :thumb:

Mine sits on my bench when in use and under it when it's not.
But mine is used for just the small stuff. If there is going to be a planing session the big one comes out of the corner. I am going to guess the table height on it is 30" or so. I have my spindle sander on a bench that is 30". That puts the table of my Jet at 49"

you mean yu can grab ahold of it and throw it in the trunk and go to the job site??? compared to the other ones that weigh in around 300 and more...

Larry you grab on to my griz and you have a lot more than 300 lbs.:rofl:
And Larry's right with the cause you can toss it in your trunk and take it with you.:thumb: