Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just call me the mirror killer

Just call me the mirror killer

I managed to remove the passenger side mirror from my wifes minivan while backing out of the garage The housing caught on the door jamb and shattered. The mirror popped off the angle/tilt mechanism. At a bare minimum I need another housing an mirror. The angle/tilt mechaninsm appears to be fine.

This is proving to be an expensive Christmas!

Several years ago I did the same thing to the drivers side mirror on my Ford Explorer.

That's 2 dead - stop me before I kill again!

I guess if I didn't allow cars to pull into the SHOP, these sorts of things wouldn't happen.

Cheers

Jim

if you drove older stuff they has swig away mirrors that would just fold back against the vehicle and you could pull them back out after yu woke up
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Mirror, mirror on the car
    Why did he knock me on the wall

Will I look the same when
    when gets his tools after me.
    Remember the tea kettle - it is always up to its neck in hot water, yet it
    still sings!

City drivers
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

My wife was 'guiding' me whilst I backed up my new Nissan PU on moving day in 1997. She said 'whoa' AFTER I'd hit one of the 4x4 porch posts.

I got even with her though about two days after she brought home her shiny new Mazda Protege. Forgot I had the tail gate down and backed into her.

Best was the day my FIL was cutting plywood with a circular saw on the tailgate of his new F150...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mattheiss View Post
    I guess if I didn't allow cars to pull into the SHOP, these sorts of things wouldn't happen.
    Truer words have never been spoken. These are signs to you from the woodshop gods. Heed their message and leave the heathen vehicles outside.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

I was driving down a narrow country load in my f150 one night with a load of firewood. I met a ton truck coming the other way and I guess neither wanted to go in the ditch so we were crowding the line. Our mirrors smacked each other going about 30 mph. After I cleaned my pants out I rolled down the window to see if the mirror was gone. Like Larry said, all it did was fold the mirror against the door and leave a little paint on the edge.

I just had to laugh Jim, I JUST had my wife open a gift for xmas, it is her passenger side mirror for her car that she removed from the car backing out of the garage

ps: I got the replacement on ebay. A heated powered mirror for a 2006 monte carlo $49.95 with free shipping

Toni - this is why I love Family Woodworking. You are all a valuable source of information - woodworking related or not. I never thought of Ebay - OEM replacement for the entire assembly is $50.00 (with free shipping). I shudder to think what I paid to replace the same on a 96 Explorer - probably 4-5 times that much.

John - I had a similar incident with a rack body truck where I worked years ago. I ticked mirrors with a phone utility service truck. My mirror folded in and his didn't. He caught shards of the mirror in the neck (superficial cuts but he was bleeding). We stopped and he was EXTREMELY RELUCTANT to report the accident. He said he'd get the mirror on his truck repaired on the sly.

The SHOP IS ONLY FOR WOODWORKING approach won't fly right now. We can't afford to build a separate shop right now. How can I appease the woodworking gods? Apparently my attempts so far have been insufficient

City driver my ###! - If I was a city driver the mirror would have been removed 2 years ago while being sideswiped by a box truck. There would be a piece of mirror duct taped in place and I'd have a stick to adjust it from the drivers seat.

The whole truth is that I was backing out of the garage with the family to go to my parents on X-Mas Eve. My 10 year old son zinged me with some comment and I was turning my head to zing him back when CRACK - the mirror hit the door jamb. That 1/2 second distraction kept me from checking the clearances as the mirrors approached the doorway. It's my fault on so many fronts - getting distracted and conceiving what turned out to be a very witty/funny 10 year old boy.

Cheers

Jim

I like the stick Jim
    Sounds more red neck than city
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.