Thread: Number 4 with some chocolate and vanilla

Number 4 with some chocolate and vanilla

I bought a #4 last summer at a local flea market for 20 bucks. It was in good shape and just needed some cleaning and setup. The first picture is the plane with the knob and tote taken off.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	plane in pieces.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	40587

The second picture shows the patent date. the japanning was probably 95% or better.

Name:	pat date.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	47.0 KB 
ID:	40588

This picture shows the sole market to flatten. I used sandpaper of a piece of granite. The sole had a dip in the middle and it took a while to get it out. I started with 180 and went up to 400. It was probably overkill, but once I got the low spot out it went quick.

Name:	marked for flatten.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	57.5 KB 
ID:	40589

The next is after the flattening.

Name:	after flatten.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	40590

I gave the body, frog,and everything a good cleaning and sanded what needed it. I then turned to the blade. It had several chips and wasn't flat. I ground it back and put a 25 degree bevel and lapped the back to a mirror finish.

Name:	blade sharpened.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	55.9 KB 
ID:	40591

Here's a couple shots after putting it back together. I gave it a test run on a piece of maple and walnut. Not bad for 20 bucks and probably 2 hours time. I actually like doing this nearly as much as butchering wood.

Name:	shavings on side.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	65.0 KB 
ID:	40592

Name:	shavings upright.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	40593
    Last edited by John Daugherty; 12-25-2009 at 03:50 AM.

Looks very similar to the #4 I have, a bit older than mine.

Nice job, and for the price, that is great!

I'm going to replace the blade in mine, it is quite short, as in well used and has been sharpened many times, and try as I might, I cannot get it to hold an edge, I can sharpen up my Sweet Heart #5, which has a laminate blade, well, the LV & LN planes, but that old #4 blade just will not stay sharp, and it chips in use too

Time for a new blade I think.

I'm looking for a good used #4 1/2, as the LN unit (drool drool) is quite nice but quite pricey

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

John, real nice rehab there. Looks like a fine #4 you have.

Stu - by the time you cover shipping, isn't even an ordinary 4.5 pretty pricey?

nice rehab there, and the wood on that was in great shape..you are afflicted with this slippery slope arent yu? but a much better disease than that spinny one
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by ken werner View Post
    John, real nice rehab there. Looks like a fine #4 you have.

Stu - by the time you cover shipping, isn't even an ordinary 4.5 pretty pricey?

Shipping would be about $50 and I'd have to pay that for a new one as well, so that is a moot point

I would not want an "Ordinary" 4 1/2, I'd like a Bedrock if I could find one, or at least an older one that is in good shape, and I'd think about adding a new blade to it

The Lie-Nielsen 4 1/2 is $325

I see decent older 4 1/2 sell for under $100, sometimes much under $100, so with a new blade, shipping and the price of the plane, I will be well below $325........ but honestly, I'd rather have the Lie-Nielsen...... time to save my pennies
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Stu, have you looked at the veritas planes. I've got a veritas block and like it.

I missed a bedrock 604 on craigslist a couple months ago for 50.00. I was the second caller.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    ...I would not want an "Ordinary" 4 1/2, I'd like a Bedrock if I could find one, or at least an older one that is in good shape, and I'd think about adding a new blade to it...
    Stu,
    Patrick Leach (of "Stanley Blood and Gore" fame) has a monthly listing of Stanley planes for sale. You can sign up to have it emailed to you.

He often has 4's or 604's listed. His prices aren't cheap, but his merchandise is always exactly as he describes it.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    Shipping would be about $50 and I'd have to pay that for a new one as well, so that is a moot point

I would not want an "Ordinary" 4 1/2, I'd like a Bedrock if I could find one, or at least an older one that is in good shape, and I'd think about adding a new blade to it

The Lie-Nielsen 4 1/2 is $325

I see decent older 4 1/2 sell for under $100, sometimes much under $100, so with a new blade, shipping and the price of the plane, I will be well below $325........ but honestly, I'd rather have the Lie-Nielsen...... time to save my pennies
    A 604 1/2 flat top Bedrock in good condition could cost very close to $325. I finally settled for a Stanley 4 1/2 type 7. I don't remember exactly what I paid for it but I think it was a bit under $100.

But do you really need a 4 1/2? I find I can do very good smoothing with a #4 or 604.

Mike
    Ancora imparo
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney View Post
    Stu,
    Patrick Leach (of "Stanley Blood and Gore" fame) has a monthly listing of Stanley planes for sale. You can sign up to have it emailed to you.

He often has 4's or 604's listed. His prices aren't cheap, but his merchandise is always exactly as he describes it.
    Thanks for the info Jim, I'll do that!

Mike, do I really "Need" a 4.5 well maybe not, but I'd sure like to have one

I do have a decent #4, which will be getting a new blade soon, so I'm in no rush to get a 4.5, but I'd like one.

Sorry for the highjack of this thread
    William Arthur Ward