So what did you get for Christmas?

I got a Woodpecker router fence and freehand bit guard from my parents (also a thank you for doing their kitchen.) LOML got me a couple things for my truck. And my wife, daughter and I got a Wii. I think my arm is going to be sore tomorrow.

My son took the Sam Maloof DVD and ran it through his cleaner and it worked. I watched it amd all I can say is wow. It is amazing. I am reminded of the workshop that I attended at his shop. what a great teacher he was as well as a tremendous artist. I am imspired to get out inbthe shop tomarrow and work on the church commision.

I got the satisfaction of seeing my meager gifts received well, and got to spend time with my family, who I don't get to see nearly often enough. Seeing my dad healthier at 79 than I've seen him in years was probably the best gift.

For the first time in a long while, the main gift that Margaret gave me was not woodworking releated -it was a Samsung Notebook computer weighing almost nothing and with a 10 inch screen. It is very easy on batteries and I certainly will be able to take it almost everywhere -in particular, it will be great in the summer when alot of the places I go to have no electricity.

I also did quite well on the woodworking-related gift front. My friends and relatives had a long list of woodworking-related items that I would like. The list was not confined to items from Lee Valley, but they certainly were a big part of it.

In the end, I recieved 18 woodworking-related items from 7 different people and it turns out that the gifts all came from Lee Valley. Five of them were duplicates and I will exchange these next week. Here is photo of the 13 unique items arranged under our tree:

Frank's woodworking related gifts -they are all from Lee Valley -small.JPG

Note Book computer, Bench Grinder and Most Importantly......
A new granddaughter...

annabelle6a.jpg

7# 4oz 20" Long Black hair

Mom and Annabelle are doing fine. What a happy house this Christmas day...:thumb:

Bill,
Fantastic the best gift of all. :thumb:

My grand kids made this for me. It has either the hand or foot print of all my grand kids. :):):)
Jimmy, Joey, Carmella, Jack, Ike, Emily, Abby, Lizzie, TC & Jody.
Can't wait to hang it over the stairs to my shop.

PC250200 (600 x 450).jpg

Here is photo of the 13 unique items arranged under our tree:View attachment 40602

Duct Tape!? See, now that is practical. No one ever gets me that. :rolleyes::rofl:

My wife and I keep christmas pretty low key on the gift front. And this year the closest I got to ww'ing tools was a sledge hammer. (yes, a sledge hammer. There was a really good sale, and I pointed out to LOML in the flyer and she grabbed it. I've needed one for a while). Otherwise the main items were a new Trans Siberian Orchestra CD, and the full season one of "The Last Airbender". (Ned, if you liked Girl Genius, I bet you'll like this. My kids introduced us to this 3-season show a while back, and it is a really well done fantasy.) And of course some goodies, and a few other items for the whole family.

Happy Christmas!!

Dust Deputy (title added for searching)

Dale,

Keep the check away from the fireplace!!!

Bob G,

Love the "grandkids" sign.

LOML got me a dust deputy and a scattering of router bits (I love that woman). Other friends and family have learned over the years that gift cards are NOT a last minute thoughtless gift to me; they are truly appreciated.

Some specific hand tools and miscellaneous items from my wish lists at LV, and other such fine institutions. People seem to really appreciate me using the wish list functions at some of our preferred sellers. They can just look to see what I am pining for and pick something without having to have a clue as to what it is or what it is used for.

Last edited:
The best gift was both my sons, daughter in law and 2 grandkids spent Christmas eve and Christmas day with us. It is also my oldest son's birthday....he turned 29 :eek:

In terms of gifts.....nothing woodworking related, but a whole bunch of hunting equiptment from one of my favorite stores....Cabela's!

I got a Bedrock 604. Of course, I had to help select this gift - my wife's not that woodworking savvy. The body is in extremely good shape - the japanning is essentially 100% and there are no nicks or cracks and very little pitting on the sides or bottom. The knob was a problem - it was mahogany. May have been replaced somewhere along the line so I turned a new knob from some rosewood I had. I never heard of Stanley using mahogany knobs.

It has essentially all the characteristics of a type 7 Bedrock - SW iron (full length), "Stanley" on the lever cap, and large depth adjustment wheel - but it has two patent dates, rather than one. So the body may have been one they had from earlier production (type 6) but the rest is type 7. If early type 7, made about 1923. [Added note: could be a type 6a, made around 1922.]

Cleaned it up and sharpened the blade. Even used it for some work today.

Mike

Attachments

• Bedrock-604.jpg
    Bedrock-604.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
The wife and I didn't exchange gifts this year.. we're of an age that if either of us wants something we go get it.. the kids did really well by us though... we have 5 between us and they all sent generous checks.

I've got orders :

Please make the purple heart pen for your daughter.
Please make the orange acrylic pen for your son.
Please make me a pen too (from LOML).

This hobby is getting to be real work :rofl:

The good news is the purple heart pen is shaped and sanded. It's sitting in the meager December sunlight - hopefully turning purple again (it's a light brown right now).

Cheers

Jim

Merry Merry & a Happy Happy to you and yours.

I'm in virginia for a few days visiting my parents and grandfather.

I got a few new items of clothing, including a pair of Duluth Trading Firehose pants. Man, those suckers are heavy duty. A new set of sheets for the LOML and me, and a new set of bench chisels from the LOML.

Part of the reason I came down here was to 'pitch' my business plan to my parents whom I hoped would help with financing the new equipment I need to start up my photo studio.

Imagine my surprise when the 'last' present I opened...

P1010163.jpg

was a Nikon D300S with an 18-200 VR lens. plus a pair of SB90 dedicated flashes to go with it.
P1010163-1.jpg

I was literally speechless for several moments.
My new studio is about to be open for business thanks to their generosity. I still need a few more items (a few memory cards for the camera for example), and the Macintosh I want to get for image processing, but the Core tool for the studio is now in my possession.

I had to read it a couple times to connect that you got the 300 and not the 3000. That's a nice boost for your business. I'll get that tripod in the mail now that I have some extra money. I finally found a box it will fit in.

The 18-200 is the one I want to step up to! well done!:thumb::thumb:
I asked the local camera shop owner back home on what to buy brand wise, and it came down to Nikon vs Canon. Having used the EOS 5D II from work I prefer the Nikon's system. That led to 'what lens if I were only going to buy one... and that resulted in the 18-200.

Congratulations Ned. What type of photography (weddings, family, commercial) are you planning to do?

Darren,
Yes, Yes, Yes, whatever I can get paid for. Portraiture and real estate are what I've done a bunch of. I've worked for two portrait studios in the past, now it is time to hang out my own shingle.

I had to read it a couple times to connect that you got the 300 and not the 3000. That's a nice boost for your business. I'll get that tripod in the mail now that I have some extra money. I finally found a box it will fit in.

Dale,
This is the 'DX' top of the line model, just shy of the D3 which is the 'FX' . The 'thousand' series are 'prosumer' level. I'm going to save up eventually for a D90 for a backup rig, but there are a bunch of other items that come first. I'll keep an eye out for the tripod , Thanks!

Last edited: