Thread: Woodworking in Bali

Woodworking in Bali

I was in Jakarta, Indonesia the week before Christmas and we made a side trip to Bali for a couple days. It was nice relaxing and warm!! Temperatures we in the 90's unlike the 20's we've got going on here now.

The last day there we made a side trip and I found a local place making some nice slab tables. Here are some pictures of their shop...

Here are a couple videos I shot of them taking a slab from rough to planed in 20 minutes.

Caution, there is not much safety that takes place in these...

You Tube Link 1

You Tube Link 2

You Tube Link 3

The wood they were working on was Tamarind, it had nice red/purple heartwood. Here are a couple shots I pul of the web of it finished.

Randy

Safety considerations aside. My back hurt watching them work. I wouldn't last 60 seconds in that position!

Thanks for posting the videos and pictures.

It was interesting to watch them work but I was not impressed with their craftsmanship.

Interesting
    Ditto on the aching back.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Didn't see any "Safety First, The life you save may be your own" stickers or steel toed sandals . Looks like they probably have a lot of scrap wood left over. What other products do they make?
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    Didn't see any "Safety First, The life you save may be your own" stickers or steel toed sandals . Looks like they probably have a lot of scrap wood left over. What other products do they make?
    I have a hand carved desk name plate from Bali... My daughter brought it back from there on one of her trips... it's about 15 inches long, lots of carving and my name.... she ordered it one day and they finished it and she picked it up two days later... I should unpack it and take a picture for here... it's actually quite pretty.

And my back hurts just watching... I last about an hour with my chain saw, then takes about 2 to get back to where I can stand straight again...
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    LOL!! I didn't see any of those safety stickers either!! I got to wrapped up in watching them mess with that board I forgot to take picture of what they were actually making. Mostly it was thick heavy slab tables. Most of them were probably 4"-6" thick. Also I saw a lot of places making teak furniture. I bet I saw no less than 50 shops that were into making furniture.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Ellis View Post
    I have a hand carved desk name plate from Bali...
    Carving was another thing that was big there. There was some impressive stuff being made.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Ellis View Post
    I have a hand carved desk name plate from Bali... it's about 15 inches long, lots of carving and my name.... ordered it one day and they finished it and picked it up two days later...
    Ditto I ordered it one day and picked it up the next.

Bob Anderson