Woodworking in Bali

randy street

I was in Jakarta, Indonesia the week before Christmas and we made a side trip to Bali for a couple days. It was nice relaxing and warm!! Temperatures we in the 90's unlike the 20's we've got going on here now. :(:(

The last day there we made a side trip and I found a local place making some nice slab tables. Here are some pictures of their shop...

Bali_Wood_00.jpg

Bali_Wood_01.jpg

Bali_Wood_02.jpg

Bali_Wood_03.jpg

Here are a couple videos I shot of them taking a slab from rough to planed in 20 minutes.

Caution, there is not much safety that takes place in these...

You Tube Link 1

You Tube Link 2

You Tube Link 3

The wood they were working on was Tamarind, it had nice red/purple heartwood. Here are a couple shots I pul of the web of it finished.

tamarind.jpg

tamarind_tablejpg.jpg

Randy

Didn't see any "Safety First, The life you save may be your own" stickers or steel toed sandals . ;) Looks like they probably have a lot of scrap wood left over. What other products do they make?

Didn't see any "Safety First, The life you save may be your own" stickers or steel toed sandals . ;) Looks like they probably have a lot of scrap wood left over. What other products do they make?

I have a hand carved desk name plate from Bali... My daughter brought it back from there on one of her trips... it's about 15 inches long, lots of carving and my name.... she ordered it one day and they finished it and she picked it up two days later... I should unpack it and take a picture for here... it's actually quite pretty.

And my back hurts just watching... I last about an hour with my chain saw, then takes about 2 to get back to where I can stand straight again...

LOL!! I didn't see any of those safety stickers either!! I got to wrapped up in watching them mess with that board I forgot to take picture of what they were actually making. Mostly it was thick heavy slab tables. Most of them were probably 4"-6" thick. Also I saw a lot of places making teak furniture. I bet I saw no less than 50 shops that were into making furniture.

Randy