First plane - Craftsman 107-37034

Rick Prosser

My dad just handed down his fathers (jack?) plane to me. I know it is not a rare or unusual plane, but I would like to get it cleaned up and working. Not sure how best to proceed.
CraftsmanPlaneModel.jpgCraftsmanPlanefront.jpg

It is a bit rusty, but still seems to be solid and heavy.

9.25 long and 2.5 wide
CraftsmanPlanebottom.jpgCraftsmanPlaneback.jpg

So - where do I start. Disassemble? Clean? Paint?:dunno:

rick get your self some evaporust from your nearest woodcraft or harbor freight. that will clean the metal of the rust then you can flatten the sole and and clean up the sides.. paint what is needed and sharpen her up and use it:) and be ready to get another, they mulitply easily..:D:thumb:

The 107 prefix indicates a Millers Falls manufacture for Craftsman. Should clean up nice and the sentimental value cannot be beat.

How big is it, as to my eye, it looks more like a #4 :dunno:

9.25 long and 2.5 wide.

I notice that I cannot get my fingers thru the back handle. It is too small for all the fingers to fit. Is that normal? My hands are big, but not huge.

I got it all apart - nothing too difficult. Will get something for the rust - and something for sharpening. I don't think my grinder will do the best job :eek:

Got the rust cleaned off - Evaporust is great! I turned a walnut knob for the front to replace the plastic one.

CleanPlaneSM.jpg

Now waiting for my sharpening system to finish the refurbish. I guess some sandpaper will clean up the pitting on the metal parts.

Question - Which way does the bevel go when the blade is installed, facing up or down?

From the research I have done, this appears to be a smoothing plane instead of a jack plane.

The blade goes so you can see the logo stamped on it from the top side, thus the bevel will be down, and the chip breaker goes close the the cutting edge of the blade.

That is a regular angle plane, the #4s are called "Smoothers"

On a low angle plane, the bevel goes up, because they don't have chip breakers and if the bevel was down, you would not be able to get the right angle you want, thus Bevel up.

............. I think........ :huh: