Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wooden Clamps

Wooden Clamps

I've been wanting to make some of these for some time, after reading an article in Fine Woodworking about it. I got a screwbox and tap set here for a reasonable price, it is not the best set up, but I got it to work fairly well.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wooden_clamp_2.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	123.6 KB 
ID:	40634 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	wooden_clamp_1.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	115.8 KB 
ID:	40633

They are made from Hard Maple and time will tell how long they last, but it is amazing the clamping power you can generate

These two took me most of the day, but as they are prototypes, that can be expected, I had to figure out how to make them and how to get the screwbox to work well, out of the box it did not work well at all, but I did get it working nicely by the time I was done.

I'll certainly be hanging onto more scraps and setting them aside for clamps

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Well done!
    Remember the tea kettle - it is always up to its neck in hot water, yet it
    still sings!

That looks like a fun project Stu

Never used any all wood, I assume the jaws have to stay pretty much parallel?

I have a lot of old metal and wood craftsman and I love them. Them are extremly handy and will do things other clamps just can't do.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

Lookin' very good, Stu.
    Only problem is you won't live long enough to see how long they will last. Those are good for generations. Hard maple was an excellent choice.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Very cool use of (what we used to erroneously call) scraps. Hand screws do come in handy and as Jeff says; they will do things for you others just won't.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Thanks guys they are neat, and yeah, the wood ones you cannot skew the jaws as much as the wood and metal ones, but they should get some good use.

I think I might just make a dowel machine at some point too, the doweling that I get here in the DIY shops is usually somewhat oval in shape, not bad, but not great either.

I know Lee Valley sell a set up for making doweling, but it is pricey. I know I could use my lathe, but this skinny and this long is not easy to do very accurately

We shall see.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    Thanks guys they are neat, and yeah, the wood ones you cannot skew the jaws as much as the wood and metal ones, but they should get some good use.

I think I might just make a dowel machine at some point too, the doweling that I get here in the DIY shops is usually somewhat oval in shape, not bad, but not great either.

I know Lee Valley sell a set up for making doweling, but it is pricey. I know I could use my lathe, but this skinny and this long is not easy to do very accurately

We shall see.

Cheers!
    I inherited a cast iron, hand crank, dowel making machine made by Stanley. I traded it off in return for part payment to a friend who built me flintlock rifle. I kept three of the cutters that were duplicate sizes.
    It was a pretty neat deal that accepted square stock. Kinda wish I had kept it.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    I inherited a cast iron, hand crank, dowel making machine made by Stanley. I traded it off in return for part payment to a friend who built me flintlock rifle. I kept three of the cutters that were duplicate sizes.
    It was a pretty neat deal that accepted square stock. Kinda wish I had kept it.
    Any idea of the number etc for it Frank?

A good vintage one would be welcome too!
    William Arthur Ward

Was it the egg beater gizmo, the Stanley #77...

They go for some real good money if they are in decent shape

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stanley.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	26.3 KB 
ID:	40685
    William Arthur Ward