Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my train display case

my train display case

I know it is simple - but hey - I actually build something , and that is a first

I spend most of the day in the garage yesterday and a couple of hours today, and now my model train display case is ready for some finish.

I did get some good suggestions in the other thread where I asked for ideas, and for the next display case I will probably use the glass door track. For this one I just wanted to be able to build somethong over the weekend and did not want to wait for any order to arrive.

I'm actually quite pleased with how it turned out, and I 'only' made a couple of mistakes - not bad for me!!. Of course I still have to add finish so there is still a chance for me to mess up something

I havent attached the back panel yet, not sure if I should do it before or after staining.

Jesper
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3390.JPG   IMG_3387.JPG  

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Looks good jesper. Regarding the back panel. If you are just gonna tack it on with some brads then goahead and finish it all before assembly but if your gonna use glue then finish it after you finalise the assembly.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    Looks good jesper. Regarding the back panel. If you are just gonna tack it on with some brads then goahead and finish it all before assembly but if your gonna use glue then finish it after you finalise the assembly.
    Unless you mark and tape the shelf lines and then finish it. You will still be able to glue it up after.
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

Looks great, well done!

I agree with Don, if you are not gluing it, then finish it with the back off, MUCH easier. I would not bother with the glue, it is not going to carry a lot of weight, after all those are not REAL trains (as in HEAVY trains) so I do not think that the glue would add any much needed strength. If you can put the back on using screws, counter sunk and pre-drilled of course, that would add almost as much strength as glue, but you can still finish it with the back off.

How are you going to finish it?

I did a bookcase for my daughter recently and I used a few coats of Shellac, brushed on, then rubbed, just about idiot proof

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

It came out great Jesper. I don't think I've ever built anything without a mistake or two.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Looking good. I would finish first then tack the back but, that's just me.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

ok - I have a really stupid question ..... sorry!

I just applied SealCoat on the shelfs using a brush, now the stupid question is how do I prevent it to run to the bottom ?.

I applied it to the top and sides, and of course when I flipped the shelfs it over it had run to the bottom. When I applied to the bottom it did seem to 'even out' the run, but then of course I had run on the top, so I flipped it again and tried to even it out.

So - what are the steps to brush apply finish to shelfs ?.

Jesper

Jesper - that looks nice.

I like model railroading too.

Will you be putting some track on the shelves for the train cars?

Maybe some scenery would also look good - and maybe some of the model railroad background.

Here is the almost finished display case, I'm only missing the plexiglass and frame.
    I gave it 3 coats of shellac and sanded with 220 between coats. But I'm not too happy with how it turned out, because there are some visible brush marks and a couple of places where I had some run, but it will do for now, and I will just have to continue practice.

Leo, for now I will just use the grooves in the shelfs instead of rails. As for scenery and background, well, this case is too shallow I think, the shelfs are only 3" wide, but making a diorama display case is an interesting idea.

Jesper

edit - I just noticed I have flipped the case upside down when I took the picture.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_3437.JPG   IMG_3438.JPG  
    Last edited by jesper kristiansen; 01-01-2010 at 11:59 PM.

You don't need depth for the background. If you are artistic, just paint the scene. If like me and can't draw a stick figure, you could cut scenes out of a magazine and decoupage onto the back board.
    But it looks great just the way it is.
    You're making me wish I had space to get my trains out of the attic!! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3