Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shopsmith Mark V 510 update 12/27/2010

Shopsmith Mark V 510 update 12/27/2010

Here it is, the Mark V:

including the bandsaw add on.

set up for turning (though I haven't managed to get free to do so yet.)

Some of the accessory tables and so forth which came with it. Evidently my Uncle spared no expense and got all the bells and whistles (except the dust collector) when he bought it.

the lathe tools... never used. still with the original guards in place.

Another view of the accessories:

Last edited by Ned Bulken; 12-27-2010 at 07:38 PM.
    -Ned

Sweet machine Ned.

I just use mine for the jointer and bandsaw now but it was the main tool in my shop for years. I love it.
    I'm going to put mine on CL soon and pick up a stationary BS and jointer.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

I think it might be a good idea to clean the sawdust out of the motor housing and take a look at the condition of the poly V belt.

It appears you have the works. The extension table apparatus is a pain to set up and use and interferes with changing from one operation to another. The Shopsmith makes a very fine drill press particularly since the support table can tilt and adjust in and out for positioning.

It also makes a very fine horizontal boring machine which is the primary reason I still have mine. I use it while constructing flatwork boxes that have brass pins as hinges.

I also like the 12" disc sander. If you can find the sharpening guide it will allow flat bevel sharpening of those Shopsmith turning tools which might or might not be HSS. Some were and some weren't.

In the first picture, the white pieces leaning against the wall are parts of a sliding cut off table that works pretty well.

The drill bits are very fine quality brad point bits. I have been using mine for over 30 years and they still work great with a little diamond touchup.

Enjoy!
    I may be getting a little older physically but mentally I'm still tarp as a shack.

I had one of those. Before turning, in my opinion, you need to call Dayton, Ohio and get the improved tail stock and tool rest. My tail stock was NOT a Live (rotating) Center. The tool rest had very few adjustments, so you end up a long way away from the wood. Makes it dangerous. These were standard on the 510.

Bruce
    Bruce Shiverdecker - Retired Starving Artist ( No longer a Part timer at Woodcraft, Peoria, Il.)

"The great thing about turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed and you have something beautiful. Nature does the hard part!"

Update: Shopsmith has now come out with the powerpro headstock upgrade, and my Dad has been discussing making the upgrade. I'm of two minds, it is somewhere in the neighborhood of $1500 to $1800 depending on whether you do it yourself, or ship it off to Dayton and have them do it.

If he does the upgrade, I'll certainly enjoy the system for years to come, however I'm not so keen on his spending money on something that he won't use much (if at all).
    Last edited by Ned Bulken; 12-17-2010 at 05:43 PM.
    -Ned

I sold my shopsmith earlier this year. Never had a problem with its power. Pretty hard to bog it down.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Ned you have the works. I have an old Mark V that I bought real chap but only got the basic machine...

I doubt that I will ever get rid of min but also don't use it a great deal. In the summer I do pull it out and use it for simple sawing. It works really well as a saw for small cuts. The drill press and horiz. boring modes are great. Works fine for simple turning but the tool rest is a pain.

If I had to get rid of every stationary tool but one the old Shopsmith is what I would keep. But I would soon be looking for a new saw.

But that is a very nice set up. Probably 4.5K plus at todays new prices.

Quote Originally Posted by Garry Foster View Post
    Ned you have the works. I have an old Mark V that I bought real chap but only got the basic machine...

I doubt that I will ever get rid of min but also don't use it a great deal. In the summer I do pull it out and use it for simple sawing. It works really well as a saw for small cuts. The drill press and horiz. boring modes are great. Works fine for simple turning but the tool rest is a pain.

If I had to get rid of every stationary tool but one the old Shopsmith is what I would keep. But I would soon be looking for a new saw.

But that is a very nice set up. Probably 4.5K plus at todays new prices.

Garry,
    the only thing missing is the jointer, but that's ok, I'll be picking one up after the 1st of the year. (Already have a Planer too) As for saw duty, my Ridgid 3620 isn't going out of service anytime soon, unless I can suddenly afford a Sawstop.

Since those photos last winter, my father has added a Shopsmith DC to the mix as well.

Now, if I only had a shop down in VA for all of my tools to move into directly...

Bob,
    I'm not terribly worried about bogging it down, since it won't see much saw duties. I really see it's utility more in the other functions, drill press, HBM, sanding station and lathe (have to get a better Banjo for it, etc...) plus I'll probably get a couple of new blades for the BS and keep that set up for fine cutting... 1/8" blade for bandsaw boxes etc... leaving my HF 14" BS for light duty resaw and turning blank trimming.
    Last edited by Ned Bulken; 12-17-2010 at 05:48 PM.
    -Ned

Nice machine, I have the same model a "72" model. I have 2 drawers fixed to the under tray that I keep my tools in for the lathe.
    I dream a lot. I do more painting when I'm not painting. It's in the subconscious.
    ::: Andrew Wyeth :::
    colonialrestorationstudio.com

Gary, you can replace the tool rest and from what I'm told, it works pretty goood as a lathe. Don't remember the cost, but you can find out at www.shopsmith.com.

Bruce
    Bruce Shiverdecker - Retired Starving Artist ( No longer a Part timer at Woodcraft, Peoria, Il.)

"The great thing about turning is that all you have to do is remove what's not needed and you have something beautiful. Nature does the hard part!"