Thread: Small wood haul and some snow pics.

Small wood haul and some snow pics.

Hi Guys.

I just arrived from spending Christmas at my in-laws and brought back these two cherry logs.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	nevada08.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	114.3 KB 
ID:	40680
    They were two cherry trees that my father in law planted about 15 years ago and now he decided to cut down for some unknonw reason to me.
    I knew he was going to do it so I begged him to keep them for me. At first he wanted to leave them on the ground until I went to take them, as I told him that by then they would be useless he cut them and stored them in the garage. They have not split yet so I hope to get some useful wood to make some small items or tool handles at least.

They measure about 4 feet long and 8-9" diameter. What should I do now? resaw them on my bandsaw and store them for about 2 years I guess, but what thickness should I cut the boards? I've been thinking about 1'25 inches.

Any suggestion will be appreciated.

The rest of the pics where taken last week, it snowed and left about 5-8" of snow, not much compared to what you get in some places there but the temperature went down to 3.2 Farenheit wich is pretty cold here!

Comments and suggestions welcome as always.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails nevada01.jpg   nevada03.jpg   nevada04.jpg   nevada05.jpg   nevada06.jpg  

nevada07.jpg  
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Quote Originally Posted by Toni Ciuraneta View Post
    The rest of the pics where taken last week, it snowed and left about 5-8" of snow, not much compared to what you get in some places there but the temperature went down to 3.2 Farenheit wich is pretty cold here!
    For some reason I never associated your corner of the world with snow! This is near your home? On the Mediterranean?
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Toni,
    In terms of the cherry, you can seal the end with a few coats of latex paint and store em for a few years or if you want to resaw them then you should still seal the ends and sticker them. In terms of how thick, well that dpends on what you want to do with them, just keep in mind that it will take about a year per inch for them to dry out.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Congrats on the log haul, and the snow........... I miss the snow..........

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Rennie Heuer View Post
    For some reason I never associated your corner of the world with snow! This is near your home? On the Mediterranean?
    Well Rennie, not all of Spain is sun and beaches, this is at my in-laws place, near Burgos, about center north of Spain, it is about 800 meters (2624 feet) of altitude and has what is defined as continental climate.

However, even in our mild climate whe get some snow at the sea shore from time to time, it doesn't last more than a day or two but it does snow.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    Toni,
    In terms of the cherry, you can seal the end with a few coats of latex paint and store em for a few years or if you want to resaw them then you should still seal the ends and sticker them. In terms of how thick, well that dpends on what you want to do with them, just keep in mind that it will take about a year per inch for them to dry out.
    Thanks Don, you mean that sealing the ends will prevent them from splitting even if I do not resaw them inmediately, and I could store them as they are until I need them?

These pics show their ends, I hope it is not too late to seal them. Sorry about the poor quality.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails log01.jpg   log02.jpg   log03.jpg   log04.jpg  
    Best regards,
    Toni

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Yup just slather on several coats of latex paint. If you were here in the states I'd tell you to get some anchor seal but I don't think youd find it redily avaible in spain.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

be sure to give them a couple coats toni, they have started to check already some but yu can still save them.. as for cut now or later ,,like don said its up to you on what you want to do with them..they will dry faster cut into boards but if you cut them thin and want thick later ,yu got glue up to do.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Sealing will not always prevent a round log from splitting. Moisture escapes from sides as well and stress must be relieved.
    The piece of wood must be split in half to reduce checking.
    However, without sealing, you could have major checking.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Definitely seal them now, with either latex paint or paraffin wax (canning wax) mixed with paint thinner (mineral spirits or kerosene) in a double boiler. It'll thin nicely that way, good & hot but not hot enough to catch fire. Paint it (the paint or the wax) on liberally with a junk paintbrush. If you use the wax, work quickly. Use at least two coats of whichever you choose to use.

There's also a material called "WaxOil" or "WaxOyl" used for undercoating cars - it's very popular in Britain, so it may be readily available there. That'd work as an endgrain sealer, too.

Take the bark off (as well as you reasonably can) so the wood can dry through its sides. If you don't, it's likely to spalt from fungus.
    -- Tim --