Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: side table for a friend of mine

side table for a friend of mine

the other week, a friend of mine asked me how much it would cost to replace the cheap side table he has. he had some plants on it, and after a bit of time some water had gotten under the cheap vinyl veneer, and gotten into the mdf substrate, and caused it to swell. this happened in a couple of spots. while my wife and i were over for dinner the other night, we took the rough dimensions of the table, and talked over rough sketches of the new table. last night i finished the drawing in sketchup, and sent him both a pic of it, and a rendered version, and he likes it. i also ran a cut list on it, and quoted him a price for it. now i'm just waiting to see what his reaction to that was...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails test1.jpg   test1a.jpg  
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

Dan:

I really like the simple design. I'd like to make a few tables similar to that. Excuse my ignorance but how will you build the sides for that?

the sides and back are frame and panel construction. 2 panels on the sides, 1 panel in the back.
    benedictione omnes bene

just got off the phone with my friend, and the table has the green light! he didn't even balk at the price...
    benedictione omnes bene

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Noren View Post
    just got off the phone with my friend, and the table has the green light! he didn't even balk at the price...

That means your not charging enough..
    Congrats, rmember lot of pictures.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Reid View Post
    Dan:

I really like the simple design. I'd like to make a few tables similar to that. Excuse my ignorance but how will you build the sides for that?
    Adding to Dan's answer, if the stiles are 2 1/2 inches, and the material 3/4 inch thick, I make the back stiles 1 3/4 and do some basic color matching on the wood, so when they are glued together, it isn't obvious that the back is different than the sides.
    Charlie Plesums, Austin Texas
    (Retired early to become a custom furnituremaker)
    Lots of my free advice at www.solowoodworker.com

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Plesums View Post
    Adding to Dan's answer, if the stiles are 2 1/2 inches, and the material 3/4 inch thick, I make the back stiles 1 3/4 and do some basic color matching on the wood, so when they are glued together, it isn't obvious that the back is different than the sides.
    i'm still trying to puzzle that one out charlie. all the rails and stiles are 3" wide and 3/4" thick, with the exception of the middle one on the sides, which is 1 1/2". each rail has a tenon on the end, and the panels are joined to the legs by those tenons. the back has no center stile, as it will be up against a wall, and not seen.

update: the knobs and hinges have been purchased, and the type of lumber has been changed from cherry, to brazilian cherry, as it is a little cheaper, will go better with his flooring, and can be had in the widths and lengths needed.
    benedictione omnes bene

Dan:

Did I understand you correctly? You will make raised panels with stiles and rails and that the rails will have tenons. These tenons will then fit into mortises on the legs.

The reason I am asking is that I am reading Bill Hyltons book on cabinet making and he talks about Post and Panel construction and I was wondering if your construction method is the same thing.

Does this mean that the panels act like an apron in the construction of a kitchen table? What will you attach the top of the table to?

Sorry for all the questions but I am just learning and would like to make some tables similar to yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Reid View Post
    Dan:

Did I understand you correctly? You will make raised panels with stiles and rails and that the rails will have tenons. These tenons will then fit into mortises on the legs.

The reason I am asking is that I am reading Bill Hyltons book on cabinet making and he talks about Post and Panel construction and I was wondering if your construction method is the same thing.

Does this mean that the panels act like an apron in the construction of a kitchen table? What will you attach the top of the table to?

Sorry for all the questions but I am just learning and would like to make some tables similar to yours.
    that was the first design change, instead of raised panels, we're going with 1/4" flat panels.

in a way, you could say that they are like very deep aprons, for only a short amount of exposed leg. i will be attaching the top to the top rails of the panels, using figure 8 table irons. i've used that type of table iron on all of my tables. for me it's easy, and has enough give for wood movement.

don't worry about asking too many questions, that's how we all learned. i'm including a pic of the side frame and legs that shows the assembly exploded, i hope that helps.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails test1 exploded side.jpg  
    benedictione omnes bene

Dan:

Thank you for your help and explanations on how you are going to complete your project. The exploded diagram you made really explains it. Since I have a long weekend I just might have to make a mock-up of a side of a table and see how it goes. I will be sure to let you know how it turns out. I will try to supply some pictures as well.