Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Bowl off Mustard Monster

First Bowl off Mustard Monster

Here is the first bowl I turned on the new PM 3520. It is Maple burl about 5 inches by 2.5 inches and wall thickness of 3/16". I finished it with 3 coats of Tung oil then Beall buffed it. When I brought it in to show LOML she said don't you have something bigger to turn you bought that lathe that can turn 20" and this is what you bring me!

Great finish on some beautiful wood......

but I have to agree with LOYL...lets see something BIG!
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

See women do believe that bigger is better.

That is a great looking little bowl... I like the shape and finish....
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Ellis View Post
    See women do believe that bigger is better.

That is a great looking little bowl... I like the shape and finish....
    I wasn't going to say it.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Very Nice Bowl Keith. My wife just saw the pic and read it and says "She had better be just teasing as it is beautiful".
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

keith, when you apply tung oil, do you have to wait for each coat to dry completely before you apply next coat?nice bowl, I tell my wife all the time nice things come in small packages.(are you using pure tung oil, or something like formsbys? sorry, just trying to sort out my problems with finishing products, just love the way it all pops out with tung oil)
    Last edited by allen levine; 12-29-2009 at 07:34 PM.

beautiful wood and you did it proud!!! well done ! Welcome to the mustard group!! Hope you enjoy it as much as I do mine..
    Remember the tea kettle - it is always up to its neck in hot water, yet it
    still sings!

Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    keith, when you apply tung oil, do you have to wait for each coat to dry completely before you apply next coat?nice bowl, I tell my wife all the time nice things come in small packages.(are you using pure tung oil, or something like formsbys? sorry, just trying to sort out my problems with finishing products, just love the way it all pops out with tung oil)
    Allen this is the first time I had ever used Tung Oil. Yes, according to the can you have to wait 24 hrs to apply additional coats. I do not believe it is pure tung oil I used Minwax Tung Oil.

I do not know that I will use it again though. I normally use Watco Danish Oil on my Western Maple to make the grain pop and I think it looks better. It also smells better, the Tung oil stunk!

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith Palmer View Post
    Allen this is the first time I had ever used Tung Oil. Yes, according to the can you have to wait 24 hrs to apply additional coats. I do not believe it is pure tung oil I used Minwax Tung Oil.
    Actualy the Minwax Tung oil finish is just a wipe on poly and contains little if any actual Tung Oil.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Don Baer View Post
    Actualy the Minwax Tung oil finish is just a wipe on poly and contains little if any actual Tung Oil.
    Thanks Don!