I was asked a while back to turn a salt shaker for a friend to match a peppermill he already had.
He gave me a blank to turn the shaker out of, it was an experimental Baseball Bat from Weyerhaeuser. I traced and measured diameters and gave him the mill back. Finally 6 months later I got around to it. I had talked with him and he was in no rush. I turned it Christmas day on my new toy, the beads are not as pronounced as I would like though. As I was boring the center hole it only went about 1" and then I was cutting air. About 4 inches of the blank was hollow! Man did I luck out on where I cut the 2 ends to be. So I was worried I would cut into the cavity as I shaped the shaker.
I bought the top from Craftsupplies, but did not want to use the rubber bung. I know how overtime they can end up not fitting well, so I wanted to seal it up good. I decided to cut the top off of a water bottle I had and try epoxying it into the bottom and it worked quite well.