• Thumb Nail

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Whatever I can find laying around

Votes: 9 14.5%
  • None of the above, I just eyeball

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
when I had my old truck, I didnt like to carry anything over 8 feet, so I had the wood guy cut all the 12 and 16 footers down.
we used to cut them with whatever jigsaw or circular saw he had laying around, rough cut, not to the exact inch, his lengths were generous.
One day I just marked a whole bunch of ash 16 footers with some blood I had dripping out a finger. worked out well, couldnt find a marker.

I don't think anyone has mentioned it yet but add chalk to the list. I use it for identifying rough cut pieces (e.g. "front left" or "face side"). Otherwise, I use a pencil for length measurements and a marking knife for dovetails.

yup peter your first in listing it but your not alone in using it:thumb::thumb: all the time,, and i will use a marker on some blue tape after a sanding to make sure i have the right piece in the right spot the right way up:rolleyes:

Never the pen... DUH! Consider this. Ink, stain, penitrate, sand off, sand so deep, smear when sanding. More reasons not than for...

Bill,

When I use the Ultra fFne Sharpie, it is for marking where a cut or center of a hole will be, which is lost when the cut is made or hole is drilled. It shows up much better on dark wood, is much thinner and doesn’t widen out with use as does a pencil. I’m not so stupid as to use a magic marker on the top of a finished board . . . DUH! :rolleyes:

Somewhat along the lines of chalk, I use lumber crayons (blue, preferably) for rough-marking circles on turning blanks before cutting them with a chainsaw or bandsaw. I seldom use circle templates...I just eyeball the line and cut somewhere in the vicinity of it. That lathe will make it round soon enough.

I also use lumber crayons for marking odd-shaped log chunks before ripping them with a chainsaw.When I'm trying to catch the pith on both ends of an odd piece of wood, the crayon lines help provide a target to aim for as I cut.

I buy the Bic mechanical pencils. Last year I discovered they had a .9mm variation. The lead doesn't break quite as easily. I too have trouble keeping track of pencils, I pickup the packs of 25 and lose them constantly. If I spent a bit searching the shop, the house, both of my vehicles, all of my coats, and the surounding countryside I'm sure I'd find 100 of them floating around.