Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sometimes the Shopgods Smile

Sometimes the Shopgods Smile

Cleaning the bearings on the bandsaw in prep to resaw some QSWO. Launched a snap-ring. Actually found it in about 2 minutes cleeeeeeer over by the cut-off bin. . . . . Now, if I just knew if that was a sign to forge ahead or to knock of for the day . . . . . I am beset by a state of quandary . . . or is a quandary already a state of being and I am in a quandary? Oh, anyway; I'm gonna go saw some wood.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Only 2 minutes? It's a sign! Forge on!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

I lost the nut off the arbor on my tablesaw one time, had to wait a week and a half for the mail to bring the replacement. (I ordered 10, I'm an honor graduate from the school of Over-Kill.)

So far I haven't even dropped one since
    Jesus was a Woodworker

I was using a wire wheel on a grinder once to clean off a brass part that was for the brakes on a 46 chevy. Well, The wheel caught it and ZOOM! it went over my shoulder who knows where. I spent 2 days cleaning out my garage looking for it.

Finally found it. I had a dartboard that folded down from the ceiling. After 2 days of cleaning and searching, it had flown up to the ceiling and landed in that dart board.

I've got the OCD bad sometimes, and it really kicks in when I've got a very difficult or expensive to replace part....
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

I'm still looking for the "open" button for a half-fixed laptop I've got....

I have 2 arbor nuts for my table saw sitting in the elbow of my DC. I know I have to get them out but my "Rube Goldberg" connections under the saw make it a pain in the neck.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

I keep a 2 ft pile of shavings under the lathe just for the purpose of catching everything I drop off the lathe... pen bushings, tools, tommy bars for the chucks... sometimes the things will just land on top of the pile for me to pick up... anything small will burrow to the bottom immediately and then off to one side or the other... a bushing usually means sifting through the pile one handful at a time....
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Ellis View Post
    I keep a 2 ft pile of shavings under the lathe just for the purpose of catching everything I drop off the lathe... pen bushings, tools, tommy bars for the chucks... sometimes the things will just land on top of the pile for me to pick up... anything small will burrow to the bottom immediately and then off to one side or the other... a bushing usually means sifting through the pile one handful at a time....
    Try one of these Chuck

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...363,42356&ap=1

They are great for small metal parts dropped in a pile of shavings.
    Daily Thought: SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES..... NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS...............

the one thing i would have to say is it's a sign to have a spare before you do that again.

What kills me is when I drop a small part and see it hit the ground. I calculate the trajectory and it will be in some complete other direction.