Products that live up to expectations

allen levine

Im no expert in anything, but sometimes I expect to be dazzled by a product, woodworking or anything else, and once in a while I am.
This is a woodworking forum, so Id like anyone to post anything woodworking related.
And Im not talking works great, Im talking a different level than what I expected was great(to me ofcourse, everyone is at a different level)

My least expensive product Ive purchased that has impressed me the most, is my Flexeel air hose. I believe, not 100% sure, when I asked about it, Glenn mentioned flexeel, and it is the only air hose I own that has retained its incredible flexibility even in my ice cold garage. Ive lost at least 3 other hoses over the past 2 winters,and the other few I have are just impossible to use comfortably when its cold outside.(I use a hose reel, and I cant even unroll most of the hoses in the cold temps, they stiffen up like a board)

Next impressive purchase, is my grex pin nailer.
Im not that experienced with pneumatic tools, have only been using PC brad guns, and this seems like a different level to me. I never worry about a bad firing, and havent had any yet, and Ive used it quite a bit.(Im not knocking PC guns)

And this one may not be impressive to all, but it brought simplicity into one area of my woodworking. The Ci1 and ci0 chisels. Easy wood tools.
I noticed in my new woodcraft catalog I received today, they are listed on the second page.
I have chisels, and I have a bench grinder. And Im new to all of this woodturning stuff, and have alot to learn about sharpening.
But when you take a perfectly honed blade(sharp and solid as hec) like these tools have, and press it against wood, its amazing. Its like a hot knife into butter. Even someone like me can turn without any catches. IM sure in the hands of an experienced turner, these tools must make magic.(stu had mentioned them, I felt he was a pretty honest and square guy, so on his impression and praise on them, I purchased them)

Ok, those are my three most impressive purchases that werent thousands of dollars.

Id like to mention, I have no financial interest in any of these products, nor do I gain anything by owning them, other than pleasure and 100% satisfaction.

pictures to show I really own them, and that hose in being bent between my left hand that cannot hold a pen steady in it tonight, severe arthritis and myasthenia arent easy on the extremities. Its been under 20 degrees in my garage for over 24 hours, no effect on the flexibility. amazing to me.

Id also like to mention although my machine and tool ownership is limited and none more than 3 and a half years old, every machine I own gets a ton of use, except unfortunately my treadmill.(it holds my clothes for the next day. or what I took off that day)

Attachments

• wood stuff 1568 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1568 (Medium).jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 58
  • wood stuff 1569 (Medium).jpg
    wood stuff 1569 (Medium).jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Al,

How’s the Flexeel hose for holding air? I'm always forget to turn my compressor off so, by about 2 am, it has lost enough air pressure that it kicks on. My son and his girlfriend’s room is just above the compressor and come flying out of bed wondering what is going on, more than a few times. Of course, even if it didn’t leak, every now and then I’d probably hook up the old hose just for giggles. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Flexsteel is the best. Not only does it stay flexible it is very light and durable. If I forget to turn off my compressor it always kicks on at the most inappropriate times. But thats because I leave the petcock open slightly to blow the moisture out when its running.

I'd have to add the Kreg pocket hole jig to the list. Even I can't screw it up.

The Porter Cable Model 100 7/8 hp router that I've had for 20 years is a real workhorse. I use it for 80% of my work. I love that tool.

The HF DC unit has probably had more impact on my shop than any tool I've bought except my table saw. The best $139 I ever spent.

man o man I got some ugly hands.

That is your hand? Eeeew. :rofl:

Let's see, I know some folks find them hard to hang onto but, my LV medium shoulder plane couldn't get any better. The plunge base on my Milwaukee routers NEVER bind or surprises me. My Zip Code saw (after some TLC) still impresses me every time I run it; can't believe it is under 2HP. Saddle squares . . . who knew? Timberwolf blades; cheap and effective. Grr-Rippers, stainless steel cabinet rules . . Oh my gosh the list goes on.

Best of all, most of the real winners I own I selected based on other's shared experiences here at the forum. Thanks to you all.

One tool that pops to mind is a pair of Robogrip pliers I received as an anniversary gift a number of years ago. Even thought I've used them a thousand times, each time I marvel at their superiority to Channellocks.

And it's funny that someone mentioned Grr-Rippers. I purchased a couple of sets of these 3 or 4 years back at a wood show and have yet to take them out of the box. I now feel motivated to rectify that immediately. :eek:

Stihl chainsaws----

MS-361 for big jobs and 029 for smaller work..

even though one of them hurt me because of my stupidly.

One tool that pops to mind is a pair of Robogrip pliers I received as an anniversary gift a number of years ago. Even thought I've used them a thousand times, each time I marvel at their superiority to Channellocks...

Interesting. I found mine to be too much of a hassle to use, and relegated them to the 'old tool' box out in the barn. I prefer the channel locks.

The one thing that comes to mind is my Dewalt table saw. I got it knowing it was just a portable and expecting that it was going to be a bit under powered. Not line up quite right and so on. Right out of the box the fence was dead on with the blade. And as for power I have cut 3 inch thick oak with no problems.:thumb:
It has hands down out preformed my Delta contractors saw. So much so that I sold the Delta:thumb:

• Powermatic 3520B
  • Ridgid TS 3650 tablesaw
  • Grrippers
  • Ellis bandsaw blades (good or better than Timberwolf at less than half the price)
  • Grex 2" pneumatic ROS
  • Thompson gouges
  • Monster hollowing tools
  • Stihl chainsaw
  • [edited to add] Incra TS and RT fence, and Incra Miter gauge
All of these make me smile each time I use them.

The one that astounds me as to how much I have come to use it is the saddle square. It is a Bridge City that was given to me by one of my woodworking classes at the end of the semester. Now I consider it a must have.

Gosh no, Paul!

It is just a saddle square, not incorporated with the sliding tee. I was on the Bridge City site a few days ago and noticed that the one I have is being discontinued.

I would think a suitable substitute would be a nice tight brass hinge.