quarter sawn white oak picture frames

I made three qswo frames as Christmas gifts. One is at it's new home. I've procrastinated on the other two. I guess I'll call them New Years presents.:D

In the first picture the frame on the right was fumed for about 3 hours in ammonia. It gave it a very even tone and it's a nice brown color. The one on the left I put several coats of dye on until I reached a darker brown. The dye really enhanced the grain of the oak. The second two pics are of each frame by themselves. I pegged the fumed frame with 1/8 inch brass plugs. I don't know if I like it yet or not.:dunno:

Attachments

• white oak picture frames 008 (Medium)1.jpg
    white oak picture frames 008 (Medium)1.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 62
  • white oak picture frames 009 (Medium)2.jpg
    white oak picture frames 009 (Medium)2.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 51
  • white oak picture frames 010 (Medium)3.jpg
    white oak picture frames 010 (Medium)3.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 56
trans-tint dark mission brown

my measurement system was really accurate. I but about 50 drops in around 1/3 pint of alcohol and applied with a piece of old cotton t. I'd put a coat on and let it dry about 20 min. then I'd put on another till I got to the color I liked.

Those look nice John. I like the brass plugs but would have gone larger diameter. Great colors and I always like QSWO.

i like the dyed one better as well,, and the pins in the fumed one give me the appearence of being nailed together and thats not what your after. great figure on your oak john..:D:thumb: