one of my best days ever woodworking

I have a 13 year old daughter. She has been on me now for a couple of months wanting a loft bed for her room. Well yesterday we spent the entire day working together designing, picking out lumber and building her loft. I made it from 2x6s and 2x4 from the borg and it's a long way from any fine woodworking project, but I had more fun making it than anything I've made yet. I taught her how to use the miter saw and she used the drills. I offered to let her use the router, but she wanted no part of it.

Here's a couple pics for the picture police. The pictures make it look a lot better than in person! I think her and her mom are going to paint it. I still have to add the side rail so she won't roll out and cut the legs off at the top. She plans on putting her desk/table underneath.

Attachments

• bed 001 (Medium).jpg
    bed 001 (Medium).jpg
    40 KB · Views: 42
  • bed 002 rotate (Medium).jpg
    bed 002 rotate (Medium).jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
Great days happen when you're workin' with your children! Looks sturdy enough to last a long time.

BTW, I believe your daughter is Strong with the "SPINNY FORCE". I gleen this from her adversion to a router. I, too, do not wish to have a router in my hand. It is from the DARK SIDE!!!.

Great job Dad!!!!! That is a day you or her will ever forget. Some of the borgs sell rope twist dowels that you could put across the front, do the job as well as eye appealing. (my dad did it on the top bunk of my sister's beds) You gonna build the desk and wire in a light?