Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any computer guru's here?

Any computer guru's here?

My PC desktop died. Age was 5+ years. The local shop is reluctant to build me another because I use four monitors. He doesn't know if another video card plus the video output of the motherboard will work. It did in my old machine. He says he doesn't know and his attitude is that he really doesn't want to find out. He is suggesting a $500 4 port video card. If I didn't like that then I could research a brand box and see if it will support 4 monitors.

I hate being jerked around.

I am willing to research - another source for my next computer!

Any suggestions? Brand box or custom? Source?

OS currently is XP Home SP3. He can replicate that. Or Win7 and conflicts with my old software. Oldest is AutoCAD 12 - DOS version. It runs just fine on XP. He claims it will not run on Win7. Comments?

Well, I guess I'm curious what died in the old computer. Typically the power supply or drive goes first, of both which can be replaced. As far as reusing the cards, you can typically disable the on-board video and use one of the others as the primary if there is a conflict with the on-board video.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Blue screen of death. Resurrected once. Got documents folder downloaded to the flashdrive. Following day, blue screen again. No resurrection. Working off my notebook so am highly restricted in my work. At least I can reach out and touch someone.

It would probably be worth trying a new power supply. Blue screen typically is a symptom of power supply problems. The get to the point they aren't outputting enough power to support the hardware.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

Some of my clients use the following USB video card:
    http://www.amazon.com/IOGear-Externa...2206700&sr=8-1

The only known issue is that you won't be able to render videos on that monitor. For normal work and browsing it works fine. I believe you can connect more than one of those to your PC.

Following is the DVI version:
    http://www.amazon.com/IOGear-Externa...2206700&sr=8-2

Thanks, Darren. That is a thought. The storm we had a few weeks ago gave it a couple electrical outages as well. That probably didn't help.

I am heading to Phoenix tomorrow and can stop at Fry's Electronics. What do I need to ask for? Or more importantly, what do I need to know before I go?

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Carrol,
    I'd just take the old power supply along and match it up.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

depending on how savy you are,, i would probally play it safe and take the whole box not just the power supply..and possibly have the show you it works before you go back home
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Carol Reed View Post
    ...I am heading to Phoenix tomorrow and can stop at Fry's Electronics. What do I need to ask for? Or more importantly, what do I need to know before I go?
    Your power supply will probably have a label on it saying what wattage it is. Just get something with the same (or higher) wattage and you should be in good shape. Power supply cases are pretty much standardized, so virtually any brand of replacement should fit.

Removing and replacing a power supply is pretty straightforward. I did a quick search on YouTube and found this listing, and some of the listed videos look like they apply to your situation:

http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...rch_type=&aq=f

If it turns out that the power supply was not bad, it's still handy to have a spare on the shelf.

Also, I'd cast some suspicion towards your hard drive. The intermittent (or progressively worsening) BSOD can be a sign your drive is dying. At today's prices, I think I'd also pick up a spare hard drive while at Fry's. Here again, even if the old one is still good, an extra hard drive is seldom a bad thing.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

to add to vaughns suggestion is to get, unless you have some type of back up software, to save your files so if and when it dies forever you got the important stuff on back up..
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!