Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: minwax stain - how long before top coat ?

minwax stain - how long before top coat ?

A quick question.

I added the second coat of minwax stain about 24 hours ago, but some areas still feel slightly tacky. I assume that means I have to wait more time before I give the top coat (poly or shellac), or not ?

Jesper

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Yes wait
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Until when Don?
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

it feels dry. if after another day it still is tacky you have got to much on there and would suggest a ragging to it ,to wipe off excess.
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Quote Originally Posted by Darren Wright View Post
    Until when Don?
    until it's dry....
    What Larry said.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

In SoCal 24 hours seems plenty of time for that to dry. Did you wipe off each coat 5 to 15 minutes after application as per the instructions?

From their site:

Q. Why is it important to wipe off the excess stain?

The colorants in Minwax® Wood Finish™ are designed to be deposited in the wood pores, not on the surface of the wood. Any pigments allowed to remain on top of the wood will impair topcoat adhesion - causing the finish to peel.

If there is residual material on the surface you can wipe it down with mineral spirits, adjust the color if required, wipe off any excess and allow it to dry normally.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 12-30-2009 at 10:01 PM.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

>>In SoCal 24 hours seems plenty of time for that to dry. Did you wipe off each coat 5 to 15 minutes after application as per the instructions?

I did, maybe I waited a little more than 15 minutes, but I did wipe it off. The weather here has been cold and drizzling (!! Wow) since yesterday so I assume that's the reason it takes a bit longer.

Jesper

Quote Originally Posted by jesper kristiansen View Post
    >>In SoCal 24 hours seems plenty of time for that to dry. Did you wipe off each coat 5 to 15 minutes after application as per the instructions?

I did, maybe I waited a little more than 15 minutes, but I did wipe it off. The weather here has been cold and drizzling (!! Wow) since yesterday so I assume that's the reason it takes a bit longer.

Jesper
    Thats probubly the reason.

define cold? if it was above 65 it should be dry. but damp will slow things down a bunch
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

When my shop is cold and I am finishing, I have some portable electric heaters I use to heat things up a little.