minwax stain - how long before top coat ?

A quick question.

I added the second coat of minwax stain about 24 hours ago, but some areas still feel slightly tacky. I assume that means I have to wait more time before I give the top coat (poly or shellac), or not ?

Jesper

In SoCal 24 hours seems plenty of time for that to dry. Did you wipe off each coat 5 to 15 minutes after application as per the instructions?

From their site:

Q. Why is it important to wipe off the excess stain?

The colorants in Minwax® Wood Finish™ are designed to be deposited in the wood pores, not on the surface of the wood. Any pigments allowed to remain on top of the wood will impair topcoat adhesion - causing the finish to peel.

If there is residual material on the surface you can wipe it down with mineral spirits, adjust the color if required, wipe off any excess and allow it to dry normally.

Last edited:
>>In SoCal 24 hours seems plenty of time for that to dry. Did you wipe off each coat 5 to 15 minutes after application as per the instructions?

I did, maybe I waited a little more than 15 minutes, but I did wipe it off. The weather here has been cold and drizzling (!! Wow) since yesterday so I assume that's the reason it takes a bit longer.

Jesper

>>In SoCal 24 hours seems plenty of time for that to dry. Did you wipe off each coat 5 to 15 minutes after application as per the instructions?

I did, maybe I waited a little more than 15 minutes, but I did wipe it off. The weather here has been cold and drizzling (!! Wow) since yesterday so I assume that's the reason it takes a bit longer.

Jesper
Thats probubly the reason.

Jesper

No worries, I've waited 45 minutes before by wandering off and getting distracted. Just took a little more muscle to get the paper towels to start coming off cleaner.

To help our non-SoCal friends define cold for us, we have had highs in the low 60's. Please bear in mind that other than when we go visit the snow for fun, this is brutally cold!!! I'd just give it another day and see how she does :thumb:.