What kind of tree/wood was this?

Tom Baugues

A local contractor in my town had been tearing down and old apartment complex for the past several months. Tonight as I was coming home from work as I passed by the site I see that they cut down about 8-10 very large trees to make room for the new complex they plan to build. The piles of wood was tremendous. I decided to pull into the lot to see if I might be able to pick up a piece to put on the lathe. I talked to the man in charge and he said I was welcome to help myself to a couple of pieces. I found this log right up front and he cut me off two logs about 14 inches long. They are about 12 inches across as well. I asked if he knew what kind it was but he was not sure. He thought the trees could be....Hickory...Ash...or Sweet Gum.
Can anyone here tell what this is?
I brought it home and sealed the ends right away. It has some very good looking grain....any ideas?

Tom

Attachments

• 2255 resized.jpg
    2255 resized.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 100
  • 2259 resized.jpg
    2259 resized.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 82
I have turned this wood and may even have some of it in my shop. I'm out of town right now, but will look to see if I still have it when I get home. Right now I'm thinking Sweet Gum. But, it very well could be Locust. Did the branches have long hard thorns? You might stop by the site and ask the guy you talk to about the thorns. Honey locust will have thorn as long as 3" or so that are very hard. Black locust does not have the thorns.

Whatever it is, congrats on the free wood Tom, enjoy turning it, but don't wait too long, it might crack if you don't get the pith out :rolleyes: :D

Cheers!

doesnt look like our locust from my area, it would be yellow not brown heart wood. not familiar with sweet gum but my pick is hickory, was the limbs smooth bark? were there and nuts on the ground nearby.

Whatever it is, congrats on the free wood Tom, enjoy turning it, but don't wait too long, it might crack if you don't get the pith out :rolleyes: :D

Cheers!

Thanks for all the input guys. Paul I think you may have been right. I think it may be Black Locust.

Stuart, I would love to get out and split it and put it on the lathe but it's only about 20 degrees here and my garage/shop is not heated. I have two kerosene heaters I fire up when I want to go out there but it takes them about 2 hours to really do enough to help when its this cold. I sealed the ends and hope that will do until the spring thaw.

Thanks guys,
Tom

Thanks for all the input guys. Paul I think you may have been right. I think it may be Black Locust.

Stuart, I would love to get out and split it and put it on the lathe but it's only about 20 degrees here and my garage/shop is not heated. I have two kerosene heaters I fire up when I want to go out there but it takes them about 2 hours to really do enough to help when its this cold. I sealed the ends and hope that will do until the spring thaw.

Thanks guys,
Tom

Froze wood splits lot easier than not froze. Couple whacks with an axe should do it. Or several bangs with maul and wedge. Work will warm you up.

I agree with Paul that it looks just like the honey locust I just cut. Tom it is going to be hard as concrete. Especially when it dries. I don't think it is black locust. It sure does look like the black locust I cut and that stuff is like turning a chunk of concrete.