Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D. day

D. day

Yes, Delivery day!! UPS Freight came down our street about 1:30, just as the LOML was heating lunch. Guess that can wait!!! My heart sank though when he opened the gate on the trailer. This is what I saw. (picture taken after we got it in the shop) Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2466.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	84.7 KB 
ID:	40787 Look at left side of box at the bottom edge. I just knew there were going to be dents in the cabinet from a fork lift. But the cabinet is clean. In fact, the plastic inside wasn't even marked.
    Next up was the box for the rails...about 18" of one end was hanging out the box with the end of the box ripped off. 2 bags of bolts and styrofoam were laying on the floor of the trailer. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2464.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	98.7 KB 
ID:	40788 So far, everything looks fine. No scratches even. I'll find out more when I install the rails tomorrow after work.
    Then I got the CI extensions out. One is perfect. The other one has a mark on the table side about 3/4" long that I can't even feel. My bet is that it would polish out. But on the other side there is what looks like a sharp gouge. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2481.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	40786 Almost like a cut mark. But the top is not raised on either side of it. My finger nail does drop into it, but if I run the pad of my finger over it, I don't feel anything. I'll talk to Grizzly about it and make a decision from there.
    And finally, the laminate extension table. It has two dings on two corners. Enough that the laminate chipped off. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dscn2477.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	74.3 KB 
ID:	40785 It is raised on these corners. Again I'll talk to Grizzly about this. I want to verify about the rails and fence before I do. Make one call for all of it.
    BUT IT'S HERE!!! And I've got a long weekend to get it set up and play with it. LOML and I had some errands to do today, so after I got it laid out to see if anything was missing, I had to leave it. Got back in just before 6:00 and spent about an hour and a half getting things unboxed, and laid out on the assembly table. Got the tilt handle installed, and the two CI extensions on and leveled. Top and extensions seem pretty flat using my 5' aluminum stick. It's not a precision straight edge, but at least gets me in the area. Only had to use tape on one side to get flat.
    Thanks for reading. I'll post what goes on with the remaining of the install as I get it done. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

Congratulations Jim!

I love my Grizz table saw and I'm sure you will to!

Have fun setting it up and checking all the angles!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

690 or 691? You're going to love it it I'm sure. I'm pleased with mine so far.
    We're not happy 'til you're not happy.

Congrats Jim, you've earned it!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Thanks guys. Ron, it's the 691. I don't have it together, and I'm already contemplating moving the rails to the right. Jim.
    Last edited by Jim O'Dell; 01-01-2010 at 02:03 AM.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

Nice one Jim!!

Randy

Nice Jim, waiting on Big Brown to bring my Grizzly stuff as well. Hope you get many useful years out of that saw.

I know the waiting is no fun. But I would have refused delivery. You paid for a saw delivered safely to your door. If what ever ripped the cardboard off those rails tweaked them. You could be chasing your rip fence from now until the cows come home trying to get it lined up and stay that way.
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

Anxious to hear about your new tools Steve!

Chuck, it's noted on the receipt. I have 15 days to report any damage. I'll know more when I get the rails on tomorrow. If there is a problem, I have the driver's signature, and pictures. I truly don't think it is damaged, but I will be able to tell once on the saw and do some measuring. Thanks for your concern. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!

The saw is basically together. I still need to do a slight tweak to the 90 degree stop for the blade. 45 was right on, and the blade was dead on parallel to the miter slot. The riving knife did have to be adjusted, and adjusted, and adjusted. Didn't think I was ever going to get it right.
    I did find three things that will need attention. After I go out and get a power cord tomorrow and make sure everything fires up fine, I'll contact CS to get these minor issues handled.
    1) There is a cut mark in one of the CI extensions. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2511.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	95.2 KB 
ID:	40886 The one on the left is just a mark. Can't feel it at all. The one on the right is the cut. Your finger nail will drop into it, but if you run the pad of your finger over it, you don't feel anything. The box was not damaged. And since I don't feel a raised area, I believe this was there before it was ground, and just wasn't caught by QC.
    2) The extension table was evidently bounced around by UPS as there are 2 corners with bruises. They are both the same, and unfortunately on the front edge. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2501.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	75.7 KB 
ID:	40887Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2506.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	75.9 KB 
ID:	40888 The one next to the CI extension is about 1/8" high. Worse than I thought it was before putting on the saw.
    3) One extension leg wasn't threaded all the way through, or has a bad burr at the far end. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2509.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	100.6 KB 
ID:	40889 I tried to chase it with a bolt, but it flattened the threads on it as well.

Note, none of these items would keep me from using the saw. I put the leg on and it works fine, just lose some of the adjustability. The extension table is the worse of the three. Those things just don't ship well. In fact, short of building a box with 3" of styrofoam on all 6 sides of the table, I'm not sure how you could ship one without damage. I'm thinking about asking if they will ship me a couple ZCI and I'll make an extension table.

All in all I am thrilled so far with the Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN2505.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	100.5 KB 
ID:	40890. I'll let you know when I get it fired up tomorrow! Jim.
    Last edited by Jim O'Dell; 01-02-2010 at 12:30 AM.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!