D. day

Jim O'Dell

Yes, Delivery day!! UPS Freight came down our street about 1:30, just as the LOML was heating lunch. Guess that can wait!!!:wave: My heart sank though when he opened the gate on the trailer. This is what I saw. (picture taken after we got it in the shop) DSCN2466.jpg Look at left side of box at the bottom edge. I just knew there were going to be dents in the cabinet from a fork lift. But the cabinet is clean. In fact, the plastic inside wasn't even marked.:thumb:
Next up was the box for the rails...about 18" of one end was hanging out the box with the end of the box ripped off. 2 bags of bolts and styrofoam were laying on the floor of the trailer. DSCN2464.jpg So far, everything looks fine. No scratches even. I'll find out more when I install the rails tomorrow after work.
Then I got the CI extensions out. One is perfect. The other one has a mark on the table side about 3/4" long that I can't even feel. My bet is that it would polish out. But on the other side there is what looks like a sharp gouge. DSCN2481.jpg Almost like a cut mark. But the top is not raised on either side of it. My finger nail does drop into it, but if I run the pad of my finger over it, I don't feel anything. I'll talk to Grizzly about it and make a decision from there.
And finally, the laminate extension table. It has two dings on two corners. Enough that the laminate chipped off. dscn2477.jpg It is raised on these corners. Again I'll talk to Grizzly about this. I want to verify about the rails and fence before I do. Make one call for all of it.
BUT IT'S HERE!!! :headbang::clap::headbang::clap::headbang::clap: And I've got a long weekend to get it set up and play with it. LOML and I had some errands to do today, so after I got it laid out to see if anything was missing, I had to leave it. Got back in just before 6:00 and spent about an hour and a half getting things unboxed, and laid out on the assembly table. Got the tilt handle installed, and the two CI extensions on and leveled. Top and extensions seem pretty flat using my 5' aluminum stick. It's not a precision straight edge, but at least gets me in the area. Only had to use tape on one side to get flat.
Thanks for reading. I'll post what goes on with the remaining of the install as I get it done. Jim.

Congratulations Jim!

I love my Grizz table saw and I'm sure you will to!

Have fun setting it up and checking all the angles!

I know the waiting is no fun. But I would have refused delivery. You paid for a saw delivered safely to your door. If what ever ripped the cardboard off those rails tweaked them. You could be chasing your rip fence from now until the cows come home trying to get it lined up and stay that way.

Anxious to hear about your new tools Steve!

Chuck, it's noted on the receipt. I have 15 days to report any damage. I'll know more when I get the rails on tomorrow. If there is a problem, I have the driver's signature, and pictures. I truly don't think it is damaged, but I will be able to tell once on the saw and do some measuring. Thanks for your concern. Jim.

The saw is basically together. I still need to do a slight tweak to the 90 degree stop for the blade. 45 was right on, and the blade was dead on parallel to the miter slot. The riving knife did have to be adjusted, and adjusted, and adjusted.:D Didn't think I was ever going to get it right. :rofl:
I did find three things that will need attention. After I go out and get a power cord tomorrow and make sure everything fires up fine, I'll contact CS to get these minor issues handled.
1) There is a cut mark in one of the CI extensions. DSCN2511.jpg The one on the left is just a mark. Can't feel it at all. The one on the right is the cut. Your finger nail will drop into it, but if you run the pad of your finger over it, you don't feel anything. The box was not damaged. And since I don't feel a raised area, I believe this was there before it was ground, and just wasn't caught by QC.
2) The extension table was evidently bounced around by UPS as there are 2 corners with bruises. They are both the same, and unfortunately on the front edge. DSCN2501.jpgDSCN2506.jpg The one next to the CI extension is about 1/8" high. Worse than I thought it was before putting on the saw.
3) One extension leg wasn't threaded all the way through, or has a bad burr at the far end. DSCN2509.jpg I tried to chase it with a bolt, but it flattened the threads on it as well.

Note, none of these items would keep me from using the saw. I put the leg on and it works fine, just lose some of the adjustability. The extension table is the worse of the three. Those things just don't ship well. In fact, short of building a box with 3" of styrofoam on all 6 sides of the table, I'm not sure how you could ship one without damage. I'm thinking about asking if they will ship me a couple ZCI and I'll make an extension table. :thumb:

All in all I am thrilled so far with the DSCN2505.jpg. I'll let you know when I get it fired up tomorrow! Jim.

Last edited:
My extension table was destroyed in shipping and they said February for a new one... I called Wednesday and was going to try and get them to skip the table and credit my account for some amount. As luck would have it They said, "oh sorry we can't, you extension table is in and we are shipping today". Thursday FedEx called to schedule delivery. I'm still building my own. Not sure what I'm going to do with two of the stock extension tables now. One damaged and one as of yet unseen.

A little bit later than I wanted. Had a family over from 10:00 to 11:30 visiting dogs. Then my run out for the power cord, a seemingly never ending task of finding a flat head, non slot (Phillips, Torx, Robertson would have worked) 10-32 X 1" machine screw to replace the bent one that secures the throat plate on my Ridgid. It's amazing that HD and Lowes have it only in a slot version. :huh: Does anyone even use slot screws anymore??? :rolleyes:
Got the power cord changed out, required a little modification since the factory cord is 14 gauge. Only had 2 of the 3 needed eyelet crimps. :doh: Picked up a new package as we left to go meet LOML's brother and his wife for supper. They were up from Houston to watch their OSU Cowboys fall apart at the new Cowboy statium. Great meal at Uncle Julio's!! I almost couldn't bend over to finish the electrical for the saw!!:p Fired right up. NICE!!! I had emptied my pockets when we came in, so I couldn't do a nickel test. Did do a 3/8" fender washer test though. First time powered up it fell over. Stayed up on power down, then passed the power up and another power down sequence! (Yes, on edge:thumb:) So I'd say it did fine. Haven't cut anything yet, but will tomorrow.
So later than I planned on, but it is working. Jim.

Sorry I haven't been commenting Jim but, I have been following along. Very exciting time; you and that saw will have a long relationship. The early days are important to get things like you want them. Congrats.

Ronald, how was the new extension? I'm surprised Fed-Ex didn't come get it for proof of what they were paying for!
I contacted Grizzly by email Sunday with the 3 things mentioned above. I said I thought I could borrow a metric tap and die set to chase the threads on the leg. From there, it's just a metric bolt. They ordered me a new CI wing for the one that has the cut mark. And I offered to try another extension table, or would trade for a set of casters I can build my mobile base with. Evidently that was a good trade for them and they are sending the casters! They can still make a claim with UPS Freight for the table top. I can make a torsion box to the size I want for less than the casters would have cost me, so win/win for both of us. And I have tracking numbers for the casters and the CI wing today!!! :headbang::headbang:
Also Ronald, have you tried to take your sloped dust ramp loose? I'm interested in being able to lag bolt the saw to the mobile base I'm designing. I got the first hex socket to break loose, but the others want to strip out. I may have to drill them and use an extractor on them, then replace. Just wondered if anyone else had the same problem. Jim.

Last edited: