Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: White Oak mission chairs

White Oak mission chairs

Heres some dining chairs that I finally finished, they go with the white oak and walnut table that I built a few years ago. They are finished finished with sprayed Minmax polyurethane, I put 2 coats on the frames and 3 on the seats.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF1439.jpg   DSCF1438.jpg   DSCF1437.jpg   DSCF1432.jpg   DSCF1431.jpg  

DSCF1430.jpg   DSCF1429.jpg   DSCF1427.jpg   DSCF1428.jpg   DSCF1440.jpg  

Those look Fantastic Dave!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

Great looking chairs Dave, I also like the table.

Okay Dave, first of all, excellent looking chairs! They remind me of the chairs in the high school office when I was in school! I have cast offs and such around the dining room table as the chairs I run across seem quite expensive and they don't seem sturdy. How are these for comfort? (hey, a self imposed diet plan if they aren't comfy I guess!!!)
    I don't see a horizontal bar tieing the left legs to the right legs. There is a bar for tieing the front to the back, would one more in the middle of that bar stop them from "racking"??
    This is a project I am highly interested in and wonder these things about your chairs. I am interested in plans or dimensions if you care to share them. They are a very nice set of chairs and the table is outstanding also!!!
    Jon

God and family, the rest is icing on the cake. I'm so far behind, I think I'm in first place!

Host of the 2015 FAMILY WOODWORKING GATHERING

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Shively View Post
    Okay Dave, first of all, excellent looking chairs! They remind me of the chairs in the high school office when I was in school! I have cast offs and such around the dining room table as the chairs I run across seem quite expensive and they don't seem sturdy. How are these for comfort? (hey, a self imposed diet plan if they aren't comfy I guess!!!)
    I don't see a horizontal bar tieing the left legs to the right legs. There is a bar for tieing the front to the back, would one more in the middle of that bar stop them from "racking"??
    This is a project I am highly interested in and wonder these things about your chairs. I am interested in plans or dimensions if you care to share them. They are a very nice set of chairs and the table is outstanding also!!!
    The chairs are comfy for me, they are probably on the large size compared to most chairs. There is no horizontal bar between the legs, I was planning on doing this during the designing phase but I decided not to after I had the prototype chair and found no need for it, The legs are 1.5" square and are quite strong, the rear legs are one piece from top to bottom and so there isn't any flex. The rear legs are 2 pieces steam bent over a form and glue laminated together. I can sit in the chair and lean back on 1 leg and the chair doesn't flex or anything.
    The back of the chair is 36" tall, the front of the seat is 18" high, the back of the seat is 17". The seats are 18 1/4" wide and 15 1/2" deep. The 15 1/2" is from the front of the rear legs to the front of the seat, overall seat depth is 17 1/2". I am not sure what the angle is of the rear legs. When I designed the chairs I just took one of my old dining chairs and laid it on some large paper and traced it out then drew what I wanted the new chairs to look like over top of the old one. I just kept the same seat height and back angles. Let me know if you need me to measure something else or whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Black View Post
    I was planning on doing this during the designing phase but I decided not to after I had the prototype chair and found no need for it,
    hi dave! those are some really nice chairs, but i also have to agree with jon about the front legs. i looked at the pics long and hard, and while the back legs are pretty well supported for side to side motion, the only thing keeping the front legs from racking side to side is the board they're attached to in the front. when i made the prototype for my chairs, i gave it a real wrenching around, all 245 lbs of me. i wrenched front to back, side to side, up on each variation of 2 legs, and slamming back down with me on it, and finally, grabbing the side aprons, and twisted to beat all while sitting on it. that way i know that no matter how one flops down on the good chairs, they won't go out from under them, and they're solid oak, around 35-40lbs each.
    benedictione omnes bene

www.burroviejowoodworking.com

check out my etsy store, buroviejowoodworking

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    If you look at the maloof chairs Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sam%20Maloof%20visit%20067b.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	80.8 KB 
ID:	40812 none of them had spreaders and some of his chairs are overe 40 years old.

Older then some on this forum..
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Let me see.... about 21 pieces each chair multiplied by 6 it makes a total of 126 pieces plut the table.

That's a lot of work you've done here Dave! Congratulations! both the chairs and the table look great!
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Lots of work Great results.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

very nice job on the chairs ,, what did you use for the contour of the seats? and was the backs steam bent as well?
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!