2010 Wish List

With 010, (just can't bring myself to say 10), just around the corner, I figured I would ask a question.

What are you hopes/ goals/ purchases for 010? Shop wise answers please, we all want good health and peace on earth.

In no order, I am looking for:
good set of chisels
drill press G7943
Jet drum sander 10-20
dovetail jig(?)
remote start for dust collection
DeWalt 788 scroll saw
better shop vac hose

To build:
Router table like Norms or close
a good crosscut sled
finish up my air cleaner in shop

Learn:
use the biscuit jointer better, handy for alignment
SketchUp better

I don't know that they are in the plans just yet but,

I would like a good drum sander... like the looks of the Jet.
a Collet chuck (that is in the plans... not sure when)
a riser for the bandsaw... you know the saying 6" just isn't enough
(to cut bowl blanks)
Thinking about one of those carbide C1 or C2 gouges.. they look handy.
I have a good scroll saw, but need to fix it.. slow speed is faster than high speed...
Maybe a good tool sharpening system..

Last edited:
There are a few items that I want but don't know the order in which to purchase.
Jet durm sander 10-20 or the 16-32
Jointer (Woodsmith has a reconned DJ20 for $800)
Bandsaw
Need to build:
doors and drawer fronts for the shop cabinets
air cleaner (I have all the parts)
table for the luchbox planer (tired of picking it up)
cabinet for my spindle/belt sander
down draft table

Wow. Lots to think about. Other than a surprise or two on the personal side for 2010, I think some of the following might also happen:

• New 8" jointer
  • build router table for the new router and lift I purchased
  • finish my bedroom built-ins that I started 7 years ago (after all, I might want to sell the house in the spring of 2011:rolleyes::rofl:)
  • entertainment cabinet for my flat screen and matching end tables
  • I have several pieces to build for church this year, 3 tables to start
  • I promised my daughter a bedroom set as a wedding gift
  • Lots of updates on the house - including gut and redo the master bath, new cabinets in the kitchen (just install, not build), new vanity in the main bath, and maybe the dreaded pink fireplace will finally meet its demise.

Wow, I better get started first think tomorrow morning!:eek::eek::rofl:

My wish list is really short , Kind of like to have a Jim-Dandy ez-lift for my Dewalt # 788 scrollsaw . But most of all to have more time to spend in the shop and I guess just to be healthy in 2010 and to turn out a heck of a lot more scrolling projects than I did in 2009............:thumb: :wave:

I feel a shop re-org coming on. Things have been getting a little crowded with the addition of the spindle sander and the scroll saw. Doesn't sound like much but I was in a tight fit before and both have a large footprint. I think if I do an overhead diagram review I'll find some space that I'm missing while standing in the middle of the room.

Oh yeah, more wood . . . . I may have to man-up and pick up a large stack. Walnut has been going for $6 - $7 a bf around here and its killing me.

Mostly boys toys that probably don't make sense for someone my age. Plus a pipe dream.
New truck, new ATV, motorcycle, fishing boat, new camper trailer.
Sure would like to win the lotto to supplement my SS. (that's the pipe dream)
Successful shoulder surgery.
A bowl gouge that works. ;)

Seriously, just another year of health and happiness and, most especially, same for my children and grands.

My wish list is pretty short.

* More time to spend in the shop, but I'll be happy if I can just finish off a few projects.

One of my new years resolutions is no new projects at all until I finish off what I've already started...:rolleyes:

#1 is to build a mobile base for the new saw. I need to order some supplies to build it.
#2 would be the hood for the SCMS/RAS center in the multifunction cabinets
#3 is to build some more of the accessories for the multifunction cabinets.

#1 new item will be long rails for my Biese fence since I found out the Griz rails won't be easy to move to the right.
#2 item to purchase this year for the shop would be an OSS, probably the little Ridgid unit will do what I need.
#3?? Probably wood and start building something...anything.:rofl: Jim.

Last edited:
I working towards over the next 12 to 18 months

#1 Buying land
#2 Building a house
#3 Building a shop

Note: 2 & 3 may be one in the same...

Once I have more shop space, I'm wanting to build a bigger CNC router.

Strictly woodworking speaking, I need to get the subpanel installed in my turning shed so that I can finally use my big lathe (Vega 24") and bandsaw again. As far as flat work goes, I think I'll replace my 6" jointer for at least an 8" version (ideally an older DJ20 or 30).

My FWW 2010 Goals:

1 - Learn how to and become proficient in lathe tool sharpening
2 - Learn to turn bowls on the lathe
3 - Acquire tools necessary to create bowl blanks from raw wood
a - bigger bandsaw
b - chainsaw
4 - Acquire a joiner for flatwork projects
5 - Organize my 1/2 of the garage and 1/4 of the basement
6 - Get to the point where my wife doesn't roll her eyes when I say 'I'll build that for you".

Cheers

Jim

PS - My wife supports me and my projects - she just knows I'm a slow builder

Last edited:
As far as health, wealth, home, happiness and family, I can’t wish for more. God has been very good to me.

Woodworking wise:

1. Get the organ done before the 2010 Tour DeWood.
2. Buy a JET - JWL-1642EVS lathe.
3 Buy a STIHL MS 290 FARM BOSS Chain Saw.
4. Use 1, 2 and 3.

#1. adore my new grand daughter.....1 month old tomorrow!!!!!:D:D
#2 retire in May (or sooner) after 35 years as a Tool & Die Maker
#3 create sawdust, hopefully with a finished product worth looking at:rofl:

I really don't need much in the way of tools and the wonderful lady I married almost 42 years ago gives me a go ahead (within reason) when I do

Sure would be nice to have warm weather..........BUT..........that ain't gonna happen anytime soon here in Nebraska.

Happy New Year, Good health and Prosperity to all.:wave:

EB-25 hot air edge bander.
more work comming into the shop.

i hate working for other people and would love to have my shop running all the time. i didnt get to add anything to the shop in 09 maybe i will get lucky in 10:dunno: