Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Let the weight loss begin

Let the weight loss begin

I'm taking a journey I haven't taken in a while...dieting. I've never been much for real dieting, usually I just throw on some shoes and start running. However it seems like I always end up finding the weight I lost a few months back on just as quickly/

This time I need to do something different to keep the weight off. So I was searching fitness apps last night on my ipod touch and came across an app called 'Lose It' (http://www.loseit.com). It's a FREE app that lets you put in your current stats and set how many pounds you wish to lose. I've got a goal of losing 46 pounds. I chose to lose 2 pounds a week, so it says I should be 46 pounds lighter by June of 2010.

You basically keep a daily log of what you are eating and it totals up the calories for you and shows how much 'allowance' you have left for the day. I typically wouldn't do well at keeping track of calories, but the built in database is doing that for me, I just have to choose the food and the size of it.

I'm hoping that by keeping track of what I'm eating it will also make me more aware of what I'm eating to keep track of the other bad things I need to give up (sodium & sat. fat).

It will also let you log your exercise. It will subtract calories burned to allow for that after workout snack in your daily allowance.

So far, my habits aren't that far off from where I need to be. I could have given up a can of pop yesterday and met my allowance.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

good luck darren and hope yu dont find it this time
    If in Doubt, Build it Stout!
    One hand washes the other!
    Don't put off today till tomorrow!

Good luck Darren. I too am going to join the hordes who resolve to lose weight in the new year. My goal is 10 lbs. by April and 20 lbs. by July. My plans are to begin exercising again (running on a treadmill and bicycling) and cutting down on the carbs, particularly refined sugar, white flour, rice, and potatoes.

My past efforts to lose weight haven't that been successful but I'm getting older (and heavier) so the stakes are more important than in the past.

Way to go Darren!

Put me on the list too.

I've got a program called FitDay I'll be using to track the 'gozintas', as well as my exercise activities. I'm going to try and follow a program called 'Fit For Life' that has different exercises for each day of the week.

I've got a weightbench and an elliptical machine less than 10' from my desk, so before I start work everymorning, I'm scheduling an appointment for 1 hour of time to use the darn machines!

Also, I've got myself scheduled with afternoon hiking appointments with my CMO (Chief Morale Officer) Starbuck to go hiking up in the hills behind the house chasing tennis balls (And or rabbits) all the way!
    Programmer - An organism that turns coffee into software.
    If all your friends are exactly like you, What an un-interesting life it must be.
    "A door is what a dog is perpetually on the wrong side of" Ogden Nash

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dowell View Post
    Also, I've got myself scheduled with afternoon hiking appointments with my CMO (Chief Morale Officer) Starbuck to go hiking up in the hills behind the house chasing tennis balls (And or rabbits) all the way!
    I can see how you can retrive the tennis balls if you mouth will fit over it but how does Starbuck throw them..
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

I’m going back on Weight Watchers On Line tomorrow. It has a app like you are talking about, Darren. I dropped a bunch of weight before my knee replacement at the end of April, and have gained back 29 lbs. (still down 43 lbs from the worst). I can probably do some WiiFit exercises with my knee now. I’d like to lose 100 lbs.

Maybe we can post our weekly results here to help keep us on track.

I went on the 7 day diet, All I lost was a week!
    Jesus was a Woodworker

I bought the P90X program you may have seen on TV. It is a lot of work and a two hour a day commitment, but I dropped 15lbs in 8 weeks and have kept it off through the holiday gorging season. I plan to hit it again in March to get ready for swim wear season here in sunny central California. 20 pounds more to go. My wife is a hottie and I need to keep up.

A big plus for me was keeping track of exactly what I ate and the calorie count as well. I kept a note book and filled it out each night after dinner. Fitday.com and calorieking.com have a lot of good info and tools for free.

Best of luck and just stick with it. Treat it as a lifestyle change and you'll do great.
    We're not happy 'til you're not happy.

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Coupla years ago I decided that I needed to loose some weight. I cut out all fast food, ate salads for lunch, gave up all carbonated drinks and beer and lost 65 lbs over a 2 year period. I have since gained 20 lbs back but I thinks if I go back to watching what I eat I can take that off and more. It a matter of eating sensibly and exercising.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Re: Let the weight loss begin

Thanks for the encouragement all! It's good to know I'm not alone and to also hear how others have done it.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault