Where do you buy exotic woods?

Joseph Shaul

I'm hoping to buy a small quantity of kiln-dried bloodwood, but I'm not sure where to buy it. The stuff I've got, while quite cheap, is relatively pale in color, and since I only need a little bit (two pieces roughly 3/8" x 4" x 4"), I figure I ought to go for the good stuff. Where do you buy your fancy wood?

Also, if anyone knows where to buy the following, I'd appreciate the tip:

-Kiln-dried rengas wood (you can only get it in turning blocks)
-Very thin pieces (1/8") of ambonya burl. Veneer might work, too.
-Kiln-dried redwood burl.

Shhhhhhh it's a secret:rofl::rofl:
I have 2 local yards that specialize in cool wood.:thumb:
Just checked one of there web sites and they don't have what you are looking for listed. http://www.highlandhardwoods.com/
Here ya go these guys are great to deal with. http://www.goosebaylumber.com/Exotics.htm

Goosebay looks pretty excellent, and they have affordable amboyna burl! I'm a little bit nervous on using veneer on something that's going to be worn and bashed about, but some 1/8" wood should do very nicely. (Hopefully they'll have something suitable in stock.)

One other thing I'm looking for is "thick veneers" for making black lines in laminates. I've seen it used all over the place, but I can't seem to find it. Any pointers? :)

I'd also like to buy some miscellaneous short scraps of inlay strips for making earrings - is there a place that sells such a thing? Most places will sell you short strips, but only of one type per ~$20 order - and you don't get to pick.

One problem I've had is that most bloodwood isn't that red - it varies a lot from tree to tree, where the wood is from, et cetera. I have some relatively cheap stuff I bought on eBay that's a bit pale for my liking - is there any chance I could touch it up a bit with some sort of dye?

Check out the penturing sites and suppliers. You should be able to get pen blanks in Bloodwood. I like turning b'wood, easy, turns clean, smells nice, especially during full moon.
If I get unlazy later, I'll check my many boxes of pen blanks and see if I have any. Wats it worth to ye? ;)

OK, I found some in my library of pen blanks.
Also found some I had forgotten about. It is 'Quiana' a/k/a "Blond Bloodwood". I got these in a trade with an Australian. Two are true blond color and one is sorta pinkish.
I would be willing to part with some of the blood colored ones. These are 3/4"X3/4"X6". The blond are a little larger but shorter, maybe 5".
PM me if you are interested.

Attachments

• Bloodwood blanks.jpg
    Bloodwood blanks.jpg
    55.8 KB · Views: 16
I'm afraid that part of my problem is what format I'm looking for the wood in - I'm looking for sheets, not sticks. Short of buying a great big lump of burl and having it resawn for me (which is increasingly tempting), it's quite hard to find most of these woods in any format I can use.

Search for veneers.
Or check out supplies for luthiers. (guitar and violin makers) They often sell strips of exotic woods.
With the right saw, pen blanks can be sliced for veneers.
Good luck.

Search for veneers.
Or check out supplies for luthiers. (guitar and violin makers) They often sell strips of exotic woods.
With the right saw, pen blanks can be sliced for veneers.
Good luck.

I've had a lot of difficulty finding these woods as veneers, but I'll keep looking. One of my major issues is that the net result is liable to get bashed around a lot, and I'm worried that the veneer will puncture through or peel. Worth a shot, I guess. :huh:

I like your suggestion of slicing up pen blanks to use as veneer - they're really the only format you can easily get most exotic woods in these days outside of big turning blocks, which almost invariably have unsuitable moisture contents. I'm setting up my el-cheapo table saw in the near future - how hard would it be to slice a 3/4" x 1 1/2" x 5" block of amboyna burl into 3/4" x 5" x 1/8" strips?

I'd think you'd lose a lot of wood because of the kerf even with a thin kerf blade. Pen blanks aren't very big.

Gripper makes a 1/8 leg for their push block/stick/jig what ever you call it. I'd fill comfortable cutting 1/8 inch strips using it.

I agree with Don, I'd use a band saw if I could.

On your advice, I've managed to finagle temporary access to a bandsaw. :)

I'm a bit curious about the optimal moisture content for slicing into thin strips. From what I understand, fresh wood is completely unsuitable - the net result will twist and warp as it dries. However, I'm not sure if any of the burls listed on eBay as "air dried" are suitable - can I use one of these, or should I try to find something kiln dried? :dunno:

Thanks to everyone for the help. :thumb:

If you have a Rockler or Woodcraft store near by go in and check out what they have. I know that Rockler will cut any size piece you want at no cost. They have some pretty cool wood.