Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New penny design??

New penny design??

WHAT? The dollar bill isn't counterfeitted enough to warrant a redesign... but they actually spent money on SEVERAL new penny designs?? Will collectors buy enough of them to pay for the design/tooling costs?

Why?????? This one makes no cents

LINK

Randy

I've been pushing for years to get rid of pennies altogether. Mils (tenths of a cent), too, at gas pumps. Let's just square off everything to the nearest five-or-dime, PLEASE! And no more Daylight Savings Time while we're at it!
    -- Tim --

I don't know what it costs to print a dollar bill, but somewhere I read that it costs about $0.07 to mint a penny... I'm with Tim.. round it off either up or down and make it easier for us all.

And Tim, Daylight saving time is a joke... it should be renamed to "Change the way you read the clock to fool everybody into thinking they're getting more time in the day." As a the son of a farmer, we didn't work by the clock.. we used the sun to determine our work day... if it was daylight, we got up and went to work... if it was dark, we quit and went to the house.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Hofstetter View Post
    Let's just square off everything to the nearest five-or-dime, PLEASE! And no more Daylight Savings Time while we're at it!
    As long as they round down, I'm good with it. DST should have taken a hike awhile ago.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Ellis View Post

And Tim, Daylight saving time is a joke... it should be renamed to "Change the way you read the clock to fool everybody into thinking they're getting more time in the day."
    What it really does is make the lazy ones get out of bed whe it get daylight other wize they would be late for work. Or another way to look at it is matching the time to the light span so people will feel better about getting out of bed.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

The penny can go. In fact, I thought the mint and Congress were trying to get rid of it. Now they are spending more money to change it.
    BTW, I like DST.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

HA

That is NOT even funny.

Spend our tax dollars on a penny??

That is like spending our tax dollars on a dollar "coin" then keep the paper bill in circulation too.

You should see the the Canadian quarters...seem like every other month there is a new collection sequence...currently the Olympic collection...
    Rod

Sarnia, Ontario

Mods must still be sleeping it off......
    But, just occurred to me, we might be straying into never-never land with this 'cheap' thread.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire