New penny design??

WHAT? The dollar bill isn't counterfeitted enough to warrant a redesign... but they actually spent money on SEVERAL new penny designs?? :doh: Will collectors buy enough of them to pay for the design/tooling costs?

Why?????? This one makes no cents :D

new_penny_design_1.jpg

new_penny_design_2.jpg

new_penny_design_3.jpg

new_penny_design_4.jpg

LINK

Randy

I've been pushing for years to get rid of pennies altogether. Mils (tenths of a cent), too, at gas pumps. Let's just square off everything to the nearest five-or-dime, PLEASE! And no more Daylight Savings Time while we're at it!

I don't know what it costs to print a dollar bill, but somewhere I read that it costs about $0.07 to mint a penny... I'm with Tim.. round it off either up or down and make it easier for us all.

And Tim, Daylight saving time is a joke... it should be renamed to "Change the way you read the clock to fool everybody into thinking they're getting more time in the day." As a the son of a farmer, we didn't work by the clock.. we used the sun to determine our work day... if it was daylight, we got up and went to work... if it was dark, we quit and went to the house.

And Tim, Daylight saving time is a joke... it should be renamed to "Change the way you read the clock to fool everybody into thinking they're getting more time in the day."

What it really does is make the lazy ones get out of bed whe it get daylight other wize they would be late for work. Or another way to look at it is matching the time to the light span so people will feel better about getting out of bed.

You should see the the Canadian quarters...seem like every other month there is a new collection sequence...currently the Olympic collection...

Down here, we've just finished (I think) our "State Quarter" series. Couldn't see any need for that, either.

Mods must still be sleeping it off......;)
But, just occurred to me, we might be straying into never-never land with this 'cheap' :rolleyes: thread.

So far, so good, Frank - but we're watching!

let's see, if they only spent $100000 redesigning the penny, mind you this is just for lincoln's bday, and 100th anniversary of the lincoln penny (like the redesign for the bicentennial), it's still costing us each around .0002 cents. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Mods must still be sleeping it off......;)
But, just occurred to me, we might be straying into never-never land with this 'cheap' :rolleyes: thread.

I'm not a Mod, but I fail to see anything remotely approaching needing moderation. If you think it's against the rules, report it instead of taking jabs at the Mods.

For the record, saying "tax", "government", "US Mint", "cheap: "nimrod", or "fool" does not constitute a political discussion. :rolleyes:

(And I don't "sleep off" anything.) :wave:

I like people who look at pennies as a pain and throw them away. I usually cash in 200-300 dollars worth each year that I have picked up. Nice way to get free tools. A tour of the Denver mint is a good way to spend a rainy day out there....