Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: give me a break makita

give me a break makita

An otherwise spectacular piece of machinery, the sliding 10inch mitre is quite a deal as sliding mitres go.
    Adjustability, sliding mechanics, ease of use, all make this a perfect machine for anyone....wait...uh.......why did makita cheap on the blade cover.
    4 plastic pegs that are part of the blade cover snap into the center disc part that is screwed on to the cover, has the spring attached and this attaches to the blade. Problem is its 4 little plastic pegs, and plastic pegs wont stand up very long, as Ive already replaced my cover(holding the broken one in my hand)
    Im a little dissapointed in makita for not putting maybe a metal rivet or pin in the plastic pegs place, and Im very dissapointed at my tool guy charging me the 16 dollars for the piece.
    5-6 grand in equipment purchases (machines, blades, bits, etc) over the past 18 months, not the right thing to do in my book.
    So Im looking for a new tool guy now.
    I hope someone at makita reads this, that cover needs a small change.
    Im no T or S, Im not a tool maven nor do I know alot about tools, but theres 1000 of me for every T, Im the guy that buys these new tools..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wood stuff 1576 (Medium).jpg  
    Last edited by allen levine; 01-01-2010 at 06:36 PM.

Allen, I deal with NY & NJ tool guys all day and have a ton of contacts. I'd be happy to give you some names. I can get you real good discounts if you don't mind going over the GW bridge to Ridgefield NJ. AW Meyer is (was ) one of my best customers. I buy most of my bigger tools there at 10 over cost.
    Faith, Hope & Charity

allen is that the newer model? i have the last version of the 12" saw and i like most of it but the guard really chaps me. it is terribly designed because it always seems to get in the way, when plunging into a cut and when sliding the saw back during a cut.

i had been looking at the newer model 10" saw because my 12" is just to heavy for jobsite use, i get tired of lugging it around.

hope that new guard lasts longer.

Chris If you think your Makita is to bulky for the job site. Stay clear of the Hitachi C12LSH At 66 lbs it's 14 lbs heaver than the Makita and way bulkier than the Makita.
    I have an old 12" Makita got it in the late 90's. As of yet I have not had any trouble with the guard.
    It could be worse You could be on fire.
    Stupid hurts.

The one I own is about 6 months or so old.
    Im not 100% sure if a new model has come out yet.

when I went into the showroom, the 12 inch model had a different blade cover, not only in size.

Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    The one I own is about 6 months or so old.
    Im not 100% sure if a new model has come out yet.

when I went into the showroom, the 12 inch model had a different blade cover, not only in size.
    At that age I would think it is still under warranty. I would check with Makita on that. If it is than I would send them a copy of the bill for the fix. It may cost your tool guy his Makita dealer ship. On the other hand he may not be an authorized Makita service center. If he is not he should have sent you to one or like mine does sent it out for you.
    Anyways it sounds like a new tool store is in order.
    Yup just checked the part sounds like it should have been covered. Here is a link http://www.cpomakita.com/warranties.html
    Last edited by Chuck Thoits; 01-02-2010 at 12:28 AM.
    Stupid hurts.

thats my beef with my tool guy chuck, I paid cash and for some reason with all the reciepts I have, me and my wife could not find the one for that machine. And I couldnt pinpoint the date, and I still feel the tool guy should have stepped up and taken the issue up with Makita on my behalf. He seemed to want no part of it.
    And the second insult, was that he kept asking me if I forced a piece of oversized wood that would have snapped the blade guard off, and to be honest, I never forced anything on that saw, since its a slider, I worked very slow and deliberately with it, never fast or forceful. Im thinking maybe he felt the company would stick him and tell himi the customer broke the part by misuse or something.
    Its just that sometimes I feel the dealer has to step up a bit. I dont know how many blades and bits I bought from him, but Im sure the profit from just my blades and bits alone would make up for his trouble, and not to mention maybe the next 15 years worth of business Id give him, like a mortiser shortly, a lathe stand.....raised panel bit, rail and style set, and at the rate I build and cut, alot, and I mean alot of blades.
    Last edited by allen levine; 01-02-2010 at 12:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by allen levine View Post
    thats my beef with my tool guy chuck, I paid cash and for some reason with all the reciepts I have, me and my wife could not find the one for that machine. And I couldnt pinpoint the date, and I still feel the tool guy should have stepped up and taken the issue up with Makita on my behalf. He seemed to want no part of it.
    It says right on his computer when you bought the saw. If you filled out the card and sent it in Makita can tell you when you got it.
    At any rate the guy sounds like a bit of a shyster and should be steered clear of.
    Stupid hurts.

I never thought about that. Its worth the email.

after sorting through bags and bags of disgusting garbage(new years eve party last night, and a few days worth of trash, coffee grinds, etc)......I was not successful looking for the reciept of the part I bought.
    Im sure I could go back and get another one and submit it, eh, not anymore.

I still feel this should and could have been handle a bit better on the sellers end, but live and learn I guess.