I need HEAT

Paul Gallian

In Memoriam
My shop open area is 3o' by 50' ceiling at the peak is 12' -outside walls about 8' -- not all used for woodworking but does not have partitions ..

I have an old wood-stove but it is a real pain to start and wait until it breaks the chill.

I do not need to heat the complete area but I would like to bring things up to at least 50 degrees.

it is cold and I would like to work in the shop!! HELP

I'm No help the wood stove has been light in my shop for about a month and wont go out till after the weather breaks now.:thumb: About 3 more months.
If you don't mind the electric bill they make some nice shop heaters that would keep the chill out and fire your wood stove while your out there to cut down on the need for the electric one to run.

Last edited:
-17 F yesterday morning, my LP furnace isn't hooked up yet, leaving a portable kerosene heater on low overnight during Christmas vacation, shop was 50 F inside! I am very happy with the insulation I chose on my new shop!!:thumb::thumb: Oh, kerosene is not a cheap heat source, man, I dug out this kerosene heater and took a five gallon can to the gas station, 2.99 a gallon!!!!:eek::dunno: Hence the reason for it being on low!
For a quick "pick up the degrees", a "salamander" heater??

I feel you COLD ! I have not had heat in my shop for 4 weeks . I don't know what the land lord is doing but he will not be getting his rent till I get heat. I have not been able to do any work lately. I am getting a little upset.

The K1 heaters are great. Despite the high, per gallon, price of the kero, they don't use much fuel and the actual cost isn't bad. OTOH, those propane radiant heaters are VERY costly :eek: to operate. I bought one last year and it will go through a 20 lb. bottle of propane in about four hours. :(

Paul, heat the space you are in. Drape tarps around your immediate work space and heat it.

I have a couple of the heaters Drew showed from LV. They keep me toasty. I keep my work space as small as I can at this time of the year. I also use a Mr. Heater dual head on a 20# bottle for 30 minutes or so to jump start heating the space.

But those heaters are currently out of stock! You'll need to pick another method.

Much depends on where you are starting from. I generally don't even go out unless it is at least 40. But then I have arthritis. Anything colder makes it pretty much impossible to work safely.

I use a Modine Hot Dawg heater in my shop. Love it.

In your case - maybe partition the shop in half. You could make some inexpensive 1/4 ply with pine frames. Make 2 foot or so sections that can be put up or taken down as needed.

Maybe 2 Hot Dawgs - one kiddy corner from the other. Heat the area that you want to work in.

It's nice to simply set a thermostat up when you want to be there - and then turn it down later.