Outfeed table help, please

My question concerns the table behind the table saw, the table the cut material moves onto past the blade. So my questions get answered, I think I will ask the questions numerically. I have a few, they all have a reason.

1. How long is your out feed table past the table saw?

2. What is your "ideal" length for an outfeed table if it is different than your answer to #1?

3. What is the width of your outfeed table? (same width as table saw? same width but offset from table saw, wider on one side of the blad than the other for some reason or other).

4. How important do you think an outfeed table is? (very, slightly, not important)

5. What is the distance from your saw blade to the nearest obstruction?

6. Which side of the blade do you do most of your standing/feeding wood in from?

7. Any other information you think relavent that I have overlooked would be appreciated.

I am in the midst of a quandry on my outfeed table. Your answers may sway my decision one way or another, also may just muddy the waters more! I will withhold my thoughts until I hear from you folks and weigh the answers. Please do try to read into my questions and provide your input. It will be greatly appreciated! Thanks.

My question concerns the table behind the table saw, the table the cut material moves onto past the blade. So my questions get answered, I think I will ask the questions numerically. I have a few, they all have a reason.

I don't have room for an outfeed table. Wish I did.

2. What is your "ideal" length for an outfeed table if it is different than your answer to #1?
Probubly 6 ft.

3. What is the width of your outfeed table? (same width as table saw? same width but offset from table saw, wider on one side of the blad than the other for some reason or other).
I think 24 " work.
4. How important do you think an outfeed table is? (very, slightly, not important)
Since I don't have one I guess not that important. I do have a dead man I use.

Depend if I have the saw pointed towards the wall or the driveway
6. Which side of the blade do you do most of your standing/feeding wood in from?
Neither side it depends on the cut
7. Any other information you think relavent that I have overlooked would be appreciated.
I'm not much help am I..
I am in the midst of a quandry on my outfeed table. Your answers may sway my decision one way or another, also may just muddy the waters more! I will withhold my thoughts until I hear from you folks and weigh the answers. Please do try to read into my questions and provide your input. It will be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
I guess I am not qualified to answert this one..

My table is 4' x 6'. I have enough room in front and back of the saw to rip 8' long plywood sheets and about 6' to 7' to the left of the blade for crosscuts. My out feed table also serves double duty as an assembly table.
11-7-09 003.JPG11-7-09 005.JPG11-7-09 010.JPG
I also put lockable castes on the table to move it around.

My outfeed table is 4'X8'. My saw is a left tilt so the left side of the table lines up with the left side of the saw. The table also serves as my work bench. Since I got a new saw and it is 1 1/2 lower than the table I had to block up the saw. I am thinking of rebuilding the table and make it 6'X6' as I want to get a 50" fence for my saw. Right now I have 6' to the left of the blade, 12' in front of the blade, and 12' after the blade.

five feet so a full sheet of ply wont fall or rise off the blade
same as 1
just as wide as the saw and the table to the right, i have 53"cap.
i would say must have, i rip sheet goods and need the support.
nine foot to a work table that is 1/2" lower than the saw. can rip 14' if needed
behind and just the other side from the fence.
dont forget the dados for the sled you will use two days after you build it and forget to cut them in the first time.
if you look at the pics of my shop you can see my outfeed table

That would depend on the projects. If I did a lot of pass doors I would go 6 feet or so. Cabinet door and cabinets 4 or so would do the trick. I would say that you want the table to extend to a point that 75% of your project is on the table. Oh I don't have a out feed table.

2. What is your "ideal" length for an outfeed table if it is different than your answer to #1? see #1

3. What is the width of your outfeed table? (same width as table saw? same width but offset from table saw, wider on one side of the blad than the other for some reason or other).Your out feed table should support the work in a manner that it can not tip side ways off the table. If your saw can rip 50 one way and 20 the other and that's what you do a lot of than 75" or so should do it. Remember you have to support the cut off too not just the keeper.

Well I don't have one. But I would if I had space to burn.
My saw moves. But if I where to bolt it down and had the space. I would shoot for 18 feet on each end.

6. Which side of the blade do you do most of your standing/feeding wood in from?I tend to be to the opposite side of the blade the fence is on. Most of the time that would be left of it.

7. Any other information you think relavent that I have overlooked would be appreciated. The only thing I would add is that if you bolt your saw down try and aim it so you can open doors or windows to feed long stock through it. Door on the in feed and window on the out. You can make some thing up across the window for stock support. I would want to keep the ends of the saw clear too.

a) The actual outfeed table is 27 X 70 1/4" The contractor saw will double as an outfeed for sheet goods for the new saw, and is 27 X 80 1/2"
a) I'd say 90". But 70 is fine.
3. What is the width of your outfeed table? (same width as table saw? same width but offset from table saw, wider on one side of the blade than the other for some reason or other).
a) Ideally, the width of the saw. Having the set up I have now with 2 separate outfeeds, the smaller width works fine, just has a gap in the middle.
a) VERY
a) 9 1/2'
a) If I'm doing a rip, I'm on the right side of the blade. If doing a crosscut, I'm on the left side.
7. Any other information you think relevant that I have overlooked would be appreciated.
a) You basically want to be able to control the wood you are cutting as it leaves the back of the saw blade. If you only cut short pieces, you won't need the extreme length or width for your outfeed table. If you cut sheet goods, you don't want to have to try to catch the wood as it falls...this could (WILL) create a chain of events you don't want to happen!!!!!
Hope this helps! Jim.

10" gap to allow DC hose access then 24" of table top with miter gauge slot dados.

Current one handles 98% of what I need. Roller stand handles any long rips, I should mention I use almost no sheet goods.

60" wide about centered; 12" of wing extends beyond to the right and about 18" oe RT top extends beyond to the left.

6--New-Real-Estate.jpg
Wouldn't be without it.

Which direction? 40" to the right until the vertical mast of my overarm guard, 10 feet or so to the left till I hit the wall, 17' to the front till the workbench (which I could probably clear if I had to, in front of the blade there are 55" till the rollup door; with the door up, I'm not sure how far it is to the neighbors front door across the street :rofl:.

I stand to the left of the blade if I am using the fence as this allows control against the fence as well as forward. I generally use the miter gauge in the left slot and I stand wherever gives me the best control when using a sled.

I have a Grizzly 1023SLX and the outfeed table is 46" deep. That allows me to rip an 8' piece of plywood without it tipping off the outfeed when pushed past the blade.

Mine is 74" wide...same width as the TS plus the R/H extension table.

Very. It really makes life easier in the shop.

I can move the fence 53" to the right. My planer is about 4' to the left of the saw table. It's 8' from the front of the saw to the jointer and about 10' from the back of the saw to my sink cabinet.

The left side almost always.

When I replaced my Craftsman contractor's saw with the Grizzly is when I added the large outfeed table. I really like it. I can use it for assembly, sanding and layout in addition to it's primary purpose...extending the saw's table for safer, easier cuts.

My shop is 20' x 30' with the TS centered. Although the outfeed table takes up a lot of space, it's not exactly wasted because I store my big shop vac underneath it along with a trash can. I have a 9-drawer cabinet under my R/H extension table that holds TS accessories. The tablesaw with the extension and outfeed tables is definitely the heart of my shop.

Hope this helps.

I have a four-foot wide table past the cabinet, so it's a total of nearly five feet past the back of the blade.

My outfeed table works grat for me but, if necessary, I can push nearly eight feet past the blade by adding a couple of stands after the table.

I have a table system on three sides of my tablesaw. It extends about 40" to both the right and lefts sides so I can support a full 4x8 sheet prior to cutting. Here's the setup.
10TS_OA2.jpg

Extremely!!!

Fifty inches to the right where the fence is at its greatest position. Eight feet or so to the left.

Left to be clear of kickbacks.

Consider other uses for outfeed/support tables. I have my router lift in my left support table, for instance.

Inline answers above.

1. How long is your out feed table past the table saw?===7ft

3. What is the width of your outfeed table? (same width as table saw? same width but offset from table saw, wider on one side of the blad than the other for some reason or other).===4ft and flush left on the T SAw

4. How important do you think an outfeed table is? (very, slightly, not important)===very, and i used it as bench as well..dual purpose that way

5. What is the distance from your saw blade to the nearest obstruction? was 3ft and now is 4ft

6. Which side of the blade do you do most of your standing/feeding wood in from?Left side

7. Any other information you think relavent that I have overlooked would be appreciated. ===i use the space under neat the out feed for storage of cutoffs

additional idea here jon, i used two bar tops with formica and 1.5 thick for mine and steel frame under it.. they were blems or seconds and where you are at there should be some avaible in your area.a chipon the formica or a scratch wont hurt lumber sliding over it.

A to 1, 2, and 3: Everything has to be mobile in my half of the garage, so my cutoff table is a roll around cart that quadruples as a work bench, glue up and finishing table, and keeper of the hand power tools. It is 27” deep and 36” wide. I can spin it length wise if I have longer boards. I built it ¼” lower than the table saw so wood doesn’t catch if it sags a bit.

4. Very important.

5. Front – 8 ½’
Back – 8 ‘ to garage door that opens
Right – 15’
Left 3 ½’ to the band saw and drill press. Those and tablesaw can all be moved if more clearance is needed.

6. My TS is a left tilt, fence on the right of the blade. I stand to the left of the blade and, if possible, the cutoff.

Attachments

• P3100029.JPG
    P3100029.JPG
    133.5 KB · Views: 33
The cut-off table is also my work bench. Its 6x4 now and pretty much matches the width of the saw.

I'm currently redoing the shop so the table size is temporary but will become permanemt maybe around 5.5x4 or something.

Nice part is I have no poles in the shop.