Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Art Shots With the New Nikon

First Art Shots With the New Nikon

I'm going to be uploading to my photo blog twice a week in order to get my creative juices flowing. Here are some shots from this past week:

note the falls in the background, This shot was at 18mm, the falls in the previous shot was at 200mm. Love that lens!

this one was taken by my eldest son... showing what my mother calls 'snow snakes'

my first semi serious portrait with the new rig, my son Patrick.
    -Ned

I must have missed it. Whats your camera/lens?
    We're not happy 'til you're not happy.

NIce Photos!!
    Faith, Hope & Charity

Good stuff, Ned.

Saw the first pic and was gonna give you a hard time about using a black & white memory card in your new DSLR.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

You are off and running.
    Consider joining DP Review. Maybe the largest discussion forum anywhere. Very good. Lots of good info and discussions. Only problem is narrowing your interests. You can spend your life on it.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Coates View Post
    I must have missed it. Whats your camera/lens?
    Ron, I got the VR 18-200 zoom, so wide angle to way over there zoom. effectively a 27-300mm in '35mm' terms.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Gibson View Post
    NIce Photos!!
    Thanks Bob!

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Good stuff, Ned.

Saw the first pic and was gonna give you a hard time about using a black & white memory card in your new DSLR.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    You are off and running.
    Consider joining DP Review. Maybe the largest discussion forum anywhere. Very good. Lots of good info and discussions. Only problem is narrowing your interests. You can spend your life on it.
    Frank, Thanks, I'll check them out! I'm actually considering taking a photo class at a local college, just to get up to speed on some of the new tricks etc for photoshop. DP review will probably be cheaper.
    -Ned

Ned, do use both. DP can be helpful, but, at times, confusing. Lotsa varying opinions, heavy use of acronymns, abbreviations, bad speeling, etc.
    BTW, I reccomend PhotoShop Elements, lot less expensive than the pro version and does probably 97% of what the high priced version will do.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Fusco View Post
    Ned, do use both. DP can be helpful, but, at times, confusing. Lotsa varying opinions, heavy use of acronymns, abbreviations, bad speeling, etc.
    BTW, I reccomend PhotoShop Elements, lot less expensive than the pro version and does probably 97% of what the high priced version will do.
    Duly noted, re DP.

PE is what I use daily already. I Might step up to the full boogie version if I need to, but as you say Elements is a very powerful imagery tool for under $100!
    -Ned

Ned, those all look very good. I thought at first the snowy outdoor pics were a bit blown out, but then tilted my monitor back and they were actually very good (tip for anyone else looking at them). You got a lot of detail in them for being so white.

You might check out some podcasts, which you can search for/watch in iTunes even if you dont have an ipod. There are a bunch of photography video podcasts available. One of my favorites is 'The Art of Photography' (http://aop.thepublicbroadcast.com/).

Another good site is Digital Photography School (http://digital-photography-school.com/), they have a tutorial section.

Also check out the Photography on the Net forum (http://photography-on-the.net/forum/index.php), which is a Canon forum, but a lot of members use Nikon anyway. Photo Camel (http://photocamel.com/forum/) is another I recently found that has a large membership, too soon to give a recommendation

A comparable photo editor is Gimp (http://www.gimp.org), which is free and has a very comparable interface to PS.

A good local photography store is always a plus. We have a couple that I rent equipment from, one does small workshops that are about 2 hours long for $15 a pop and cover popular topics. The other always gives me priceless tips when renting the equipment, especially with lighting equipment. They always ask what I'm shooting and recommend a setup to use.

Looking good, can't wait to see more.
    Darren

To a small child, the perfect granddad is unafraid of big dogs and fierce storms but absolutely terrified of the word “boo.” – Robert Brault

I was going to be like Vaughn and give you a hard time about the black and white snow pictures... till I scrolled on further down and saw the others... really good shots..

That's a very hansome boy.. he must take after his mother.

My step son, Ed, is an amateur photographer that should go professional.. he's that good..
    I envy you guys that can make a camera do what you do.... no matter how good a camera I use, they never see what I see when I do photography... mostly now I leave it up to the wife and Ed to do the photography... I only use it for photographying my turnings.
    Chuck
    Tellico Plains, TN
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/TellicoTurnings
    My parents taught me to respect my elders, but it's getting harder and harder to find any.
    If you go looking for trouble, it will usually find you.