final to tall?

this is #3 of the boxes i'm making this weekend. It's cherry with holly top and final. After making the final and putting it on it looks to tall to me.Should i make a different box for the final? I'm thinking yes, but what do ya all think? Also in the pic it looks like the box has warped a little, didn't look like it till i took the pic.:dunno:

Attachments

• 010 [800x600].JPG
    010 [800x600].JPG
    98.1 KB · Views: 70
Stephen, I think the finial is to tall:rolleyes:, the box a little warped:p, wood a little rotted:eek:, finish a little uhhhhmmm;), kind of curvy for a "box":doh:, two different kinds of wood:huh:, a little short:confused:, red and white:bonkers:, hmmmmmm what else:huh:, oh yeah, THAT BOX ROCKS!!!!:clap::clap::clap::headbang::headbang::headbang::guitar::guitar:
So if it bothers your senses to badly, just :biker::biker::biker: ship it to me, I'll give it a place of honor (yeah like my wife would!) I think it is fabulous. I'd leave it alone. The contrast of the woods, the bottom wide and short with the finial tall and narrow, think it goes very well. I think you hit a homerun on this one!!!! I don't have the inclination to turn bowls, but this type of box, that bug could bite me some day!

Stephen how big is the box? Also how tall is the finial? This is just my opinion and how I would approach it. If the box is say 3" high and 4" across I would make the finial probably no more the 2" to 2 1/2" tall and a little more delicate. Cindy Drozda says you don't want the finial to over power your box. Just some thoughts.

Nobody can say if it is "too tall". Too tall for what? It is an art piece, it is what it is.
I like.
But, I wouldn't make it that way and you probably wouldn't make one my way. Or, if you did, it would end up in the burn pile. :rolleyes:
The holly has an almost alabaster look.
The whole effect is elegant. :thumb:

I agree with Frank, that is an art piece.... but in the same vein, I agree the finial is a little tall... I think it would look better if you could end it with the tear drop part and just bring that part to a point... the rest is extraneous.

But that said, it is still a piece of art and it's the artists vision that counts, not the critics.:thumb:

me not a spinny guy but i agree the finallee is to tall save for a taller box make new finalle for this one..purty cherry:)
Larry that's kind of what i thought.I have some more of that cherry so i'll probbly make enother.

Stephen, I think the finial is to tall:rolleyes:, the box a little warped:p, wood a little rotted:eek:, finish a little uhhhhmmm;), kind of curvy for a "box":doh:, two different kinds of wood:huh:, a little short:confused:, red and white:bonkers:, hmmmmmm what else:huh:, oh yeah, THAT BOX ROCKS!!!!:clap::clap::clap::headbang::headbang::headbang::guitar::guitar:
So if it bothers your senses to badly, just :biker::biker::biker: ship it to me, I'll give it a place of honor (yeah like my wife would!) I think it is fabulous. I'd leave it alone. The contrast of the woods, the bottom wide and short with the finial tall and narrow, think it goes very well. I think you hit a homerun on this one!!!! I don't have the inclination to turn bowls, but this type of box, that bug could bite me some day!
Johathan pm being sent

Stephen how big is the box? Also how tall is the finial? This is just my opinion and how I would approach it. If the box is say 3" high and 4" across I would make the finial probably no more the 2" to 2 1/2" tall and a little more delicate. Cindy Drozda says you don't want the finial to over power your box. Just some thoughts.
Bernie i agree, but as i was looking at the newest packard catalog as i turned it, and hers was a lot taller than the box.:dunno:

the finial is ok, it's the box that's too short....:thumb:
:huh::rofl:

Nobody can say if it is "too tall". Too tall for what? It is an art piece, it is what it is.
I like.
But, I wouldn't make it that way and you probably wouldn't make one my way. Or, if you did, it would end up in the burn pile. :rolleyes:
The holly has an almost alabaster look.
The whole effect is elegant. :thumb:
Thanks Frank. Had to ask the wife what alabaster met.:huh: now that she inlightened me your right.:)

I agree with Frank, that is an art piece.... but in the same vein, I agree the finial is a little tall... I think it would look better if you could end it with the tear drop part and just bring that part to a point... the rest is extraneous.

But that said, it is still a piece of art and it's the artists vision that counts, not the critics.:thumb:
Your right Chuck, but that's why i come here for your opinions.

I think it looks good, but a shorter and thinner finial would enhance it, in my opinion. Also, the top of the box and the lid both look fairly flat (level). I think some curve there would help the box flow into the finial.