Well, since it seems like nearly everybody and their mother has a green Harbor Freight dust collector, I figured I needed to break the mold. And after telling Stu he needed to paint his new old drill press purple, I figured I should put up or shut up. And lastly, since I'm sometimes stranger than a seven-sided cube, I present...
The Hoover Wood-O-Matic:
It wasn't easy finding purple metallic Rustoleum spray paint, but I did it. The logos on each side are inkjet printed labels stuck on magnetic sign material, so I can change brands at a moment's notice. They really don't have jagged edges...that's a glitch in the photo.
I disassembled the DC for painting, and did the separator ring and blower housing in purple. I painted the motor mount (not visible in the pics) with black crinkle paint to match the motor and base. I don't often have this much fun for the cost of a can of spray paint. (It may just be the paint fumes talkin', too.)
While I had everything apart, I also lined the inside of the filter with screen, hopefully to keep any stray chips from sticking in the filter or poking any holes*. So I really did do some modifications. Hopefully later tonight (if I get done with the rest of my honey-do list) I'll be able to get some of the ductwork run a bit more permanently. For now I'll be using flex hose, but once I settle on the tool layout, I may replace some of the sections with rigid pipe.
* Edited later to add...the screen was a bad idea. The first time I removed the filter (about 4 months later), there was sawdust packed between the screen and the filter itself. In a later phone call with Rick Wynn, he confirmed that it was not a good idea. (I called to order more plastic bags, and he answered the phone. Very nice guy, too.)