Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More Vital DC Modifications

More Vital DC Modifications

Well, since it seems like nearly everybody and their mother has a green Harbor Freight dust collector, I figured I needed to break the mold. And after telling Stu he needed to paint his new old drill press purple, I figured I should put up or shut up. And lastly, since I'm sometimes stranger than a seven-sided cube, I present...

The Hoover Wood-O-Matic:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hover DC 1 600.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	3707

It wasn't easy finding purple metallic Rustoleum spray paint, but I did it. The logos on each side are inkjet printed labels stuck on magnetic sign material, so I can change brands at a moment's notice. They really don't have jagged edges...that's a glitch in the photo.

Name:	Hoover DC 2 800.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	74.3 KB 
ID:	3708

I disassembled the DC for painting, and did the separator ring and blower housing in purple. I painted the motor mount (not visible in the pics) with black crinkle paint to match the motor and base. I don't often have this much fun for the cost of a can of spray paint. (It may just be the paint fumes talkin', too.)

Name:	Hoover DC 3.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	3709

While I had everything apart, I also lined the inside of the filter with screen, hopefully to keep any stray chips from sticking in the filter or poking any holes*. So I really did do some modifications. Hopefully later tonight (if I get done with the rest of my honey-do list) I'll be able to get some of the ductwork run a bit more permanently. For now I'll be using flex hose, but once I settle on the tool layout, I may replace some of the sections with rigid pipe.

* Edited later to add...the screen was a bad idea. The first time I removed the filter (about 4 months later), there was sawdust packed between the screen and the filter itself. In a later phone call with Rick Wynn, he confirmed that it was not a good idea. (I called to order more plastic bags, and he answered the phone. Very nice guy, too.)
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Thumbs up

.... That's "A" ok Vaughn. It made for a good laugh .

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Well, since it seems like nearly everybody and their mother has a green Harbor Freight dust collector, I figured I needed to break the mold. And after telling Stu he needed to paint his new old drill press purple, I figured I should put up or shut up. And lastly, since I'm sometimes stranger than a seven-sided cube, I present...

The Hoover Wood-O-Matic:

Name:	Hover DC 1 600.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	46.9 KB 
ID:	3707

It wasn't easy finding purple metallic Rustoleum spray paint, but I did it. The logos on each side are inkjet printed labels stuck on magnetic sign material, so I can change brands at a moment's notice. They really don't have jagged edges...that's a glitch in the photo.

Name:	Hoover DC 2 800.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	74.3 KB 
ID:	3708

I disassembled the DC for painting, and did the separator ring and blower housing in purple. I painted the motor mount (not visible in the pics) with black crinkle paint to match the motor and base. I don't often have this much fun for the cost of a can of spray paint. (It may just be the paint fumes talkin', too.)

Name:	Hoover DC 3.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	67.4 KB 
ID:	3709

While I had everything apart, I also lined the inside of the filter with screen, hopefully to keep any stray chips from sticking in the filter or poking any holes. So I really did do some modifications. Hopefully later tonight (if I get done with the rest of my honey-do list) I'll be able to get some of the ductwork run a bit more permanently. For now I'll be using flex hose, but once I settle on the tool layout, I may replace some of the sections with ridgid pipe.

Thinking about a project without ACTION is just DAY DREAMING .

Great, job, and you got me out of the purple dilemma I was in!

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Yeah! Va-va-voom!

Great paint job!
    ...art

.....now, how about those lime green racing stripes?.....maybe a Hurst shifter decal....

Nice customization Vaughn, always nice to stray from the "norm".

i like the hoover insignia.....
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

It never ceases to amaze me what folks on the left coast will do for entertainment...

What, no pinstripes??

Sheesh...
    - Marty -
    Fivebraids, Inc.
    When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there’s no end to what you can’t do…

Cool Vaughn!

Hmmmmm.....all well and good, but how does it handle bread crumbs and dog hair?
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ash View Post
    .....now, how about those lime green racing stripes?.....maybe a Hurst shifter decal....

Nice customization Vaughn, always nice to stray from the "norm".
    Uhhmm Steve, its not a Chevelle

Vaughn, you have way too much time on your hands