More Vital DC Modifications

Vaughn McMillan

Administrator
Staff member
Well, since it seems like nearly everybody and their mother has a green Harbor Freight dust collector, I figured I needed to break the mold. And after telling Stu he needed to paint his new old drill press purple, I figured I should put up or shut up. And lastly, since I'm sometimes stranger than a seven-sided cube, I present...

The Hoover Wood-O-Matic:

Hover DC 1 600.jpg

It wasn't easy finding purple metallic Rustoleum spray paint, but I did it. The logos on each side are inkjet printed labels stuck on magnetic sign material, so I can change brands at a moment's notice. They really don't have jagged edges...that's a glitch in the photo.

Hoover DC 2 800.jpg

I disassembled the DC for painting, and did the separator ring and blower housing in purple. I painted the motor mount (not visible in the pics) with black crinkle paint to match the motor and base. I don't often have this much fun for the cost of a can of spray paint. :D (It may just be the paint fumes talkin', too.) :rolleyes:

Hoover DC 3.jpg

While I had everything apart, I also lined the inside of the filter with screen, hopefully to keep any stray chips from sticking in the filter or poking any holes*. So I really did do some modifications. Hopefully later tonight (if I get done with the rest of my honey-do list) I'll be able to get some of the ductwork run a bit more permanently. For now I'll be using flex hose, but once I settle on the tool layout, I may replace some of the sections with rigid pipe.

:wave:

* Edited later to add...the screen was a bad idea. The first time I removed the filter (about 4 months later), there was sawdust packed between the screen and the filter itself. In a later phone call with Rick Wynn, he confirmed that it was not a good idea. (I called to order more plastic bags, and he answered the phone. Very nice guy, too.)

.... That's "A" ok Vaughn. It made for a good laugh :wave:.

Well, since it seems like nearly everybody and their mother has a green Harbor Freight dust collector, I figured I needed to break the mold. And after telling Stu he needed to paint his new old drill press purple, I figured I should put up or shut up. And lastly, since I'm sometimes stranger than a seven-sided cube, I present...

The Hoover Wood-O-Matic:

View attachment 3707

It wasn't easy finding purple metallic Rustoleum spray paint, but I did it. The logos on each side are inkjet printed labels stuck on magnetic sign material, so I can change brands at a moment's notice. They really don't have jagged edges...that's a glitch in the photo.

View attachment 3708

I disassembled the DC for painting, and did the separator ring and blower housing in purple. I painted the motor mount (not visible in the pics) with black crinkle paint to match the motor and base. I don't often have this much fun for the cost of a can of spray paint. :D (It may just be the paint fumes talkin', too.) :rolleyes:

View attachment 3709

While I had everything apart, I also lined the inside of the filter with screen, hopefully to keep any stray chips from sticking in the filter or poking any holes. So I really did do some modifications. Hopefully later tonight (if I get done with the rest of my honey-do list) I'll be able to get some of the ductwork run a bit more permanently. For now I'll be using flex hose, but once I settle on the tool layout, I may replace some of the sections with ridgid pipe.

:wave:

.....now, how about those lime green racing stripes?.....maybe a Hurst shifter decal....

Nice customization Vaughn, always nice to stray from the "norm".

Very nice Vaughn! The Hoover logo just makes it!:D

Hmmmm - purple might clash with my industrial grey. Maybe a nice chartreuse?

Wes

...what...you don't think pinstripes on machines are cool?....I'm crushed.:(
Actually, I think come black pinstripes might be fun on it. ;) Your lathe was one of my motivations for doing up the DC. I also seriously considered flame decals. :rolleyes:

I should seek help. :bonkers:

Vaughn, Love that paint job. Maybe you can start your own painting business.:D One more thing you can do to help it suck more, replace the plastic hose with metal. It seems to help.

I love the purple! Always loved purple. Perfect for a HF tool ;)

But on old Arn that would be considered Klown Kolors you know. :rolleyes:

Jeff
Whi is looking for a color scheme for the QC grinder and it ain't gonna be purple!

Hmm, but then again, I now have that ole iron RAS that needs refinishing. Perhaps a nice set of pinstripes...:peek:

Don't forget that a lot of Victorian era cast iron would have been painted in dark colours with quite gaudy gold/silver/yellow pinstriping.

The structural elements of the original Crystal Palace from the Great Exhibition of 1851 (believe it or not the Royal Comission for said exhibition still exhists and funds assorted educational things - including my masters degree course - from the profits) had bright yellow striping on the flanges as a way of visually lightening the framework.