• Sometimes yes, sometimes not it depends on what I want to achieve

Votes: 35 59.3%
  • Yes, but I change it if I don't like how it is coming out

Votes: 20 33.9%
  • Always, and I stick to my original idea unles I get a catch

Votes: 4 6.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm no turner, and I must ask for your indulgence with this question, but I'd like to know how many of you have a clear idea of what shape you want to obtain when turning a piece or just toss a piece of wood on the lathe and work on it until you're pleased with the shape.

Maybe you use both systems depending on your mood, need or whatsoever.

In other words, do you make any previous sketches at all? Revolution pieces are easy to obtain in SU and you could evaluate your design before using any wood at all. Moreover if you like what you've drawn, getting a template from it is as quick as printing the profile.

I've set up a poll so I can have some sort of statistics with your answers.

Thanks a lot for your cooperation

I voted your second choice, but both 2 & 3 would apply to my techniques... I may start a piece that I'm thinking about a particular shape, but realize the wood isn't going to do what I want and adjust the design accordingly... on smaller pieces, and my peppermills, I can pretty much decide what I want it to look like and stay with it, but the bigger pieces I just go with the flow.

I also would have picked both 2 and 3. More often than not, I only have a general idea of what I'm after, and the details fill themselves in as I go.

Where most of what I turn now has a "set" shape I have a good idea before I start. But as with most every thing in life one must adapt as they go.:thumb:

It depends...if the project is art I have a little more leeway. If the project is a spindle turning such as Dave Richard's spindles for his ship's wheel or the turned feet for a friends kitchen table legs.....or turned knobs for a piece of furniture.....like the cherry pedestal table I'm finishing right now....those types of projects demand some pretty critical dimensions and details with little leeway for "design changes". Art....I can make some "design" changes.

It really is project dependent.

Toni got BUSTED!

I checked #2 but 2 and 3 apply. I will take some time looking at a piece of wood and try to guess how it may turn out. I will plan the shape and size according to what the wood is telling me. If I didn’t listen good enough, I’ll modify what I originally planned.

I picked 2 and 4.

Number 4 because segmented turning requires careful planning. I always draw out the profile and number of segments etc. Once the pieces are cut, there is very little opportunity to change the design.

...I turned those sticking a rod in a drill, unless you want to call that a lathe.

Even then that doesn't turn me into a turner, does it?:rofl::rofl:

Was the wood turning? In a circular motion? While you cut it? Then yes, I'm afraid you are indeed a turner. :rolleyes: :p :D It's like a scarlet letter. Wear it with pride, my friend.

Back on subject, one of the appeals of woodturning for me is the freedom and spontaneity of designing as I go. Particularly with an odd or gnarly piece of wood, much of the adventure is just seeing what might be inside. Flatwork can be very rewarding, but it seldom offers the surprises along the way that turning provides. ;)

I'm No 2 as well. If I am making things to sell specifically then I have a pretty good idea in mind what I am aiming for but for pure fun I stick wood on and see what happens. Like most I suppose it's 2 & 3 really

Pete